Where would you move to if you had your choice of any western State to live in?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
This post was started almost 3 years ago. I read all the posts again and they were really interesting and the ones I posted are still true today.
BUT the big change here in sw Colorado is the price of property. I bought my property ( 6.3 acres) in 1994 for $50,000 including 5 shares of irrigation water. We built our home in 2000 for $77.00 a sq ft. I have invested around $300,000. In the last 5 years property values have soared here. My place in now worth between $800, 000 & 850,000. Taxes are still very reasonable as mine is still around $1,200 a year, it includes a senior credit of taking $100,000 off of the assessed value.

If I were to start all over, I doubt that I could afford to do this at today's values, especially being retired.

SocialBar

Jan 11, 2021
Pune, India
www.socialbar.net
When I was considering a move to a Western state with great opportunities for elk hunting on public land, Montana really stood out for its straightforward tag drawing system and abundant public areas. It seemed like the best choice for both lifestyle and hunting opportunities.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
This post was started almost 3 years ago. I read all the posts again and they were really interesting and the ones I posted are still true today.
BUT the big change here in sw Colorado is the price of property. I bought my property ( 6.3 acres) in 1994 for $50,000 including 5 shares of irrigation water. We built our home in 2000 for $77.00 a sq ft. I have invested around $300,000. In the last 5 years property values have soared here. My place in now worth between $800, 000 & 850,000. Taxes are still very reasonable as mine is still around $1,200 a year, it includes a senior credit of taking $100,000 off of the assessed value.

If I were to start all over, I doubt that I could afford to do this at today's values, especially being retired.
I agree with you totally CC....land and home prices are completely nutso everywhere. The affordable RE taxes that you pay will be significantly higher for whoever buys your estate and establishes a new "value". I bought raw land on a lake for $10K in 1989, and built everything myself, but because I am now "rich" due to the increased value of my property and the taxes have followed suit, I will likely be forced to sell the home that I had hoped to die in. Home ownership in the U.S. is going to plummet in the future, and the most pain will be felt by the next generations.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I agree with you totally CC....land and home prices are completely nutso everywhere. The affordable RE taxes that you pay will be significantly higher for whoever buys your estate and establishes a new "value". I bought raw land on a lake for $10K in 1989, and built everything myself, but because I am now "rich" due to the increased value of my property and the taxes have followed suit, I will likely be forced to sell the home that I had hoped to die in. Home ownership in the U.S. is going to plummet in the future, and the most pain will be felt by the next generations.
You are spot on in you post. We are planning on giving our son our place when we are gone and he will lose the senior citizen tax break as one of the conditions is he has to have owned it 10 years before the tax break kicks in.
My old house in the city in California which we bought new in 1970 for $30,000 & sold in 2000 for $300,00, is now worth a million dollars! The taxes alone on it would make it impossible for young people to own it!

Reactions: RICMIC