Colorado Secondary Draw

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Well the list is out for the secondary draw and to my amazement I have found that there are tags available for the unit that I put in for on my third choice in the primary draw.

Me smells something fishy going on here. As most know I couldn't believe that I didn't draw a deer tag in the primary draw. I also never received any email telling me that I was successful or unsuccessful in the primary draw for deer. My PP for deer and pronghorn was updated so I do know that they got the application.

I just got through sending them a email so we will see what happens here. Odd are they will tell me that I just have to apply through the secondary draw if I would like a chance at one of 5 tags that I should of drawn with my third choice in the primary draw.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Wow … good luck.

Youth hunters have priority in the 2nd draw. If there’s only 5 tags it’s possible youths could take them before you get a chance.
if I were you I’d sure press DoW to consider giving you a tag before the 2nd draw.

Reactions: Bonecollector

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I sent them a email and I have a alarm for 7:59 so that I can also call them at 8:00.

I think that this is going to get interesting before I am done.

Reactions: Bonecollector

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Just got off of the phone and was told to go pound sand.

From what I was told these 5 tags were turned back to the draw because applicants didn't pay for them. Their policy is that any tag that requires 5 PP's or less that they go to the secondary draw with those that require 5 PP's or more go to the next qualified applicant.

So I now have to submit a new application and cross my fingers and hope that I draw.

I've got a few emails to send out to CP&W officials.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Another report on the secondary draw.

I just put in for my hunt using the correct unit and it bombed out, it said that the unit is invalid for this choice.

I'm going to wait until tomorrow before I call them again. I need to cool down some.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Could the 5 tags be from hunters that drew and didn’t pay. If so they should kindly put one in ur cart.
That's what they told me, that they were likely hunters who didn't pay for the tag.

But CP&W policy is that if it takes 5 or fewer PP's that they just go to the secondary draw automatically, only those tags that take 5 or more PP's go to the next applicant in line.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
JimP

I see the CP&W officials are equal opportunity haters to both residents and non-residents alike. Feel bad for you.

I wish they would go back to having to front the money. This would eliminate most of these issues.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
JimP

I see the CP&W officials are equal opportunity haters to both residents and non-residents alike. Feel bad for you.

I wish they would go back to having to front the money. This would eliminate most of these issues.
Since they can't put the application money into the bank to gather interest without paying that interest back to the applicant they will stay with the process of post pay. They also have a increase of applicants because of post pay that brings in more money.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
"They also have a increase of applicants because of post pay that brings in more money. "

And there it is! :)

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Just as a whim I called them back today after I simmered down a little.

The deer applications were shut down today 6/16 due to a glitch in the system. Can you imagine that? They will be back online on 6/17

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
There are returned tags on the list.. As others have mentioned unpaid tags also are on this list.

In reality this is a youth lottery or a donation the cpw if you are a adult.. Good deal for a few youth but draw odds will still be looong.

Reactions: brushcreek

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
JimP

It would solve a lot of issues, and maybe even slow a few others. Once you didn’t have to front the money in CO the application numbers went through the roof.

Reactions: mallardsx2