High Country Conditions

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Just got back from a trip to the area that I will be hunting in Sept (M/L cow tag). I was very surprised at the condition of the area. Lots of very green, lush grass and lots of water everywhere. The area is a little over 10K elevation. The areas down near 8K are definately a lot drier. Saw lots of fresh sign and it started to rain as we left around noon. Looks like the area has had lots of rain so far, hope it keeps up. plan on going back every couple of weeks.

Hope everything stays the same. Our monsoon season is just about ready to start, so I am really happy about everything here. Down near my homeplace, it is really dry, (elev is 6800) and hot! What a difference and less than 50 miles away!

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
Looks like chance of rain for the next seven days in unit 67 and on the Conejos, too. All reports so far seem to be favorable. I should be able to get into the high country the end of this month. I have a bear tag for rifle beginning sept 2 in unit 68. I will hunt unit 81 on that tag. The tag is good for 8 units, 68,76,79,80,81,681,682, and 791. I can walk from my house on the conejos to hunt bear or elk, for that matter trophy mule deer, just hated to burn that many points for a chance at so few good deer and an over abundance of hunters.
Any more news on the 257 wby?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
When I got up this am (@5:45) it was raining and had been for quite awhile. It is still raining and have not been able to see the La Platas (over 12,000') all morning. Looked at several other weather sites and it looks like rain all over the Rockies from Montana south. Hope so...we need it.

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
Nice country you are in Colorado Cowboy. I have a long history of hunting in the Lizard Head and have killed several elk and mule deer on Delores Peak. I went induring the start of the storm on TR634 Oct 10 1997 and that was the most dangerious storm I have been in. Trees were being blown down all around me and all nite long, it also snowed 2 feet during the night. Moved camp down the mountian and found a mule deer during the storm, dragged him to camp by myself as he had been above the road I was camped on, above cold creek.
Hunters got so thick, I moved on.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Yep....this year I'm hunting ML too. The only thing I try to do is build enough points to hunt one of our local units (within 100 miles or so) that require a few points to draw. Not the 2nd or 3rd seasons which have OTC bull tags....too many hunters is right! I usually put in for points a my first choice and a ML cow tag as second or third.

Been here 12 years now since I retired and love it. I would have been here ( or Wyoming) sooner, but had to make a living which unfortunately in my field of work, would have been almost impossible.

Last edited:

SDbowhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Winner, SD
Glad to hear the higher elevations are getting rain, I was fighting fire on the High Park fire in Ft. Collins and on the fire in Boulder and couldn't believe how dry it was, made me not feel so bad when I got home to South Dakota.

fortgeorgetaxidermy

Apr 7, 2012
Woodland Park, CO
It is good news. Have not had a chance to get up to that area yet. Got a 3 day backpack trip planned for 21st though =). it has been so dry down my way. although we have been getting lots and lots of water the past couple days. Flash floods in the burn scars. Was hiking/scouting by the house yesterday eve and got caught in some serious hail. Not fun.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Been cloudy all afternoon and raining right now. Looks like we have got monsoon conditions as it clouds up every afternoon and we get thunder, lightning and some rain. I live at 6800' just below the La Platas and the rain seems to be from them all the way north to Telluride/Silverton. Way the Dolores Canyon a couple of days ago to Rico and lots of rain there.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
Been cloudy all afternoon and raining right now. Looks like we have got monsoon conditions as it clouds up every afternoon and we get thunder, lightning and some rain. I live at 6800' just below the La Platas and the rain seems to be from them all the way north to Telluride/Silverton. Way the Dolores Canyon a couple of days ago to Rico and lots of rain there.
CC I just got back from a 3 day motorcycle ride ( one day in your country). Ridgeway to Norwood, Naturita, Dove Creek, Cortez, Durango, Silverton and back to Ouray/Ridgeway was a one day loop. We did get a couple of light showers and saw very little snow and the creeks and rivers that are way way down. The tops still look green but unless it is irrigated the lower country is pretty dry.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
You are exaclty right. Snow gone along with the runoff, rivers low too. But high country is still green and getting some moisture. Just hope it continues that way. My place here is nice and green as I have irrigation shares and water EVERY day. If I didn't it would be brown! I am hoping to go back up to my hunting area near Rico next week to spend the day scouting and will take some pictures. Elevation there is 10.5 to 11k and it seems to get lots of moisture.

Vanish

Nov 28, 2011
Gunbarrel, CO
I've been up in the high country of the front range every weekend doing some alpine fishing. Very green up there and every day after noon it has rained.