Opening morning

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I really need to find a better place hunt this kid really wants to get his first turkey. But we are having a great time together this morning. He is teaching me all about flying. Great way to spend the day together before his track meet tonight
Good luck, I hope he gets a bird!

Reactions: THelms

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Time together is what it's all about, BUT... take a couple mornings off and go scout. Look for birds out strutting or listen for them in likely places. When you locate some start knocking on doors and explain you're trying to get that young man his first gobbler. You may be surprised how many folks will say yes. It's hard to turn down a kid.

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
Time together is what it's all about, BUT... take a couple mornings off and go scout. Look for birds out strutting or listen for them in likely places. When you locate some start knocking on doors and explain you're trying to get that young man his first gobbler. You may be surprised how many folks will say yes. It's hard to turn down a kid.
yep we need to get out and find some property to chase some birds on. Here in northern Missouri lots of ground is leased up. We have 10 acres that is all pasture with one tree line. But right behind us is a little over 100 acres of timber. We are trying to get permission for it. Right now we are trying to get Mr Tom to come check out our decoys. We have heard him gobble a few times. Turkey hunting used to be my thing and I got out of it. But my son is getting me fired back up on it. He wants to go out west so we can get some merriams he thinks I need to finish up my slam

Reactions: gonhunting247

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Cross the border, and take him to Kansas next spring. The youth season over there has amazing dates, and the WIHAs are good, especially early. If you do it, gimme a shout, I'll get you some starting points.

Reactions: sigpros and THelms

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
Cross the border, and take him to Kansas next spring. The youth season over there has amazing dates, and the WIHAs are good, especially early. If you do it, gimme a shout, I'll get you some starting points.
Will do. Thinking about Kansas Oklahoma and a trip out west next year maybe.

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
Both Montana and Wyoming have lots of birds on public ground. Just concentrate on later April or May to find birds on public after they disperse from the private land winter grounds.
I’d love to do some hunting out there for turkeys. The way the draw has been going might be the only way I can hunt Wyoming lol

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Not much going on for turkey this spring in eastern Ohio. Gas/Oil exploration has all animals trying to figure things out so the old standards don't apply. I had to scout for 3 months to find the bigger bucks in my areas and even then I could not pattern them. Turkey locations were even worse. I let one pass as he was a young jake and that was it except for a few hens.
Does seems to be an uptick in bobcat and coyotes recently. I feel like they're mocking me. Apparently we haven't been introduced....yet.