Gun Shows

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Guns Shows get a lot of bad press and criticism in the media. Every state has their own rules. My local shooting club here in SW Colorado puts on an annual gun show as a way to raise money to operate our club. This last weekend we held our 2021 show. It was a huge success and the club made over $9,000 profit. Our profit was almost all from table rentals and admissions. This is our 15th year doing a gun show.

There was quite a bit of ammunition, reloading supplies (primers, powder, bullets, etc) and lots of guns. The reloading supplies dried up pretty fast as did the cheaper ammo. The only problem was the long wait for background checks. Our contractor for the checks said it was taking 5 to 7 days. That is a lot longer then we have experienced in the past. I was told that the 72 hour rule is no more. (eg. If your background check has not cleared after 72 hours, the buyer can take the gun.) Don't know if that is new from the state or federal level. That will surely slow things up in the future as there is no incentive to clear a buyer in a timely manner. I believe it could screw up the whole system and cause in increase in transfers that are off the books.

I had a table and really did well. I cleaned out a bunch of stuff I had no use for.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
CC. I heard that after 72 hours it was up to the seller if they wanted to sell it they could. I think the larger gun retail showroom dealers are not selling until they have an approved background check. I think it is a deliberate stall tactic on the feds part.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The dealer/FFL holder at our show did not want to hold them for sure. I lost one sale to a guy in Moab because he didn't want to come back a week later to pick up the gun. I checked several website this morning for information about the background check and there did not seem to be any changes at the federal level....yet! I am going by the Sheriff's Office and see if there have been any changes here in Colorado at the state level.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I was thinking today on my long drive from the Wasatch Front area of Utah back home here to Colorado about the extended periods of background checks.

I I can ship a firearm to a FFL holder for the repair of that firearm and then they can ship it directly back to me a non FFL holder then why can't a store or any other FFL holder ship me a firearm once the sale has gone through and I passed the background check?

So if I walk into a gun store and want to purchase a firearm but the checks are taking a week to complete. Why can't I pay for the firearm and then just have them ship it to me when the background check comes back? Once the check has been done and the sale complete I am now the owner of that firearm and it should be no different than if I sent it in for repair and they then sent it back to me.

Am I going wrong somewhere?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I figured that the buyer would have to pay shipping, but if someone is in a area like I am and travel 120 miles to look at firearms and want to buy one that shipping would be a lot better than another 240 mile round trip.

I just wished that we had a good gun shop in either Eagle or Garfield counties that you can walk into and fondle the firearm to see if you like it. We do have one shop that is willing to order one for you but quite often you just want to see how it fits into your hand before you buy it. And in this area it means a good drive. I did forget that there is one good dealer in Rifle but his stock is usually quite low.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I was thinking today on my long drive from the Wasatch Front area of Utah back home here to Colorado about the extended periods of background checks.

I I can ship a firearm to a FFL holder for the repair of that firearm and then they can ship it directly back to me a non FFL holder then why can't a store or any other FFL holder ship me a firearm once the sale has gone through and I passed the background check?

So if I walk into a gun store and want to purchase a firearm but the checks are taking a week to complete. Why can't I pay for the firearm and then just have them ship it to me when the background check comes back? Once the check has been done and the sale complete I am now the owner of that firearm and it should be no different than if I sent it in for repair and they then sent it back to me.

Am I going wrong somewhere?
When I had my FFL lots of guys would ask me if they could have a gun shipped to my place because they were sending it out to have it worked on and it could only be shipped back to someone with an FFL. I am not sure if the laws have changed or if it is different in other states but here at least in the past you could not send out a gun for repair and have it shipped back to you unless you had an FFL.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
When I had my FFL lots of guys would ask me if they could have a gun shipped to my place because they were sending it out to have it worked on and it could only be shipped back to someone with an FFL. I am not sure if the laws have changed or if it is different in other states but here at least in the past you could not send out a gun for repair and have it shipped back to you unless you had an FFL.
It has been a while but I have shipped firearms out to either be modified or repaired and I never have had a FFL. There were also no problems with the FFL shop sending them back to me. The key thing here is that you need to be the owner of the firearm when you ship it and it is returned to you.

I believe that I have also seen it quite often on another forum where they have but I really didn't pay that much attention to it.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
[QUOTE="JimP, post: 304537, member: 11923"
It has been a while but I have shipped firearms out to either be modified or repaired and I never have had a FFL. There were also no problems with the FFL shop sending them back to me. The key thing here is that you need to be the owner of the firearm when you ship it and it is returned to you.

I believe that I have also seen it quite often on another forum where they have but I really didn't pay that much attention to it.
[/QUOTE]
I never questioned it when the guys asked me to do it. They would need my FFL # and shipping address. It could have been the company that they were sending it to required it not the law I don't know. I guess I assumed that was the law because of the requests I would get to have them shipped to me. I worked at a place that had over 1,000 employees and word would get out that I had an FFL so I got several of these requests. This was back in the mid 1990s during the Brady Bill.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I think that a lot of people had that misconception about needing a FFL to have a firearm shipped back to them after a modification or repair.

Now if you want a company to just send you a firearm then yes you do need that FFL.

But my way of thinking is that if you have paid for the firearm and have passed the required background check along with filling out the AFT 4473 form and signed it then it is technically yours even if you have not taken possession of it.