Moose hunting

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
I finally can afford to apply in Id for moose and will maybe try for a cow elk tag or some type of elk hunt ( otc or landowner ) because I have a license this year. Been poor over the tag hub and the hunt planer. Think I have it narrowed down to a couple of areas I'd like to apply for. But not real sure if I have been thinking this through correctly.
So from what I can figure out I get 2 choices and there is a 10% limit so I know odds are low.

So if you were to approach this is there a region you would look at first? Why? I looked heavily at the south east part of the state just because of logistics being from Nv and can travel I80. Terrain and well there are several blue chip units

Is a unit 29 tag pretty much a wilderness hunt and would then need a guide? That sounds like a great trip hunt but need to just know what I would need to do to be successful.

I would be open to any suggestions at this point and would prefer not to list my actual choices on the open forum so please pm me and share what your willing.

Thanks

Last edited:

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Ok, wasn’t sure, your post kind of made it sound like you did. A guide would help out greatly in any moose hunt, if you want to spend the cash. Are you going to try to do this by yourself? If so I would say get a guide, if you got friends, at least 3, that would go with you than it’s up to you on guide or no guide. The Southeast side of the state is doing very well with moose populations and opportunity, I wouldn’t steer you away from that area. Unit 29 isn’t wilderness, but it’s tough country. As a Non-resident your first choice is basically what you get.

idcwby

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
IDCWBY,

Do you know of some good quality outfitters? I would like to talk to some before I put in as a horse back wilderness hunt would be a dream type hunt.
When looking at 29 it looked like the frank was the bulk of the unit.
I would DIY in a heart beat as I have a couple of really good hunting partners and side by sides and horses of my own. But it depends on the unit and access probably wouldn't tackle a wilderness hunt DIY tho

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
IDCWBY,

Do you know of some good quality outfitters? I would like to talk to some before I put in as a horse back wilderness hunt would be a dream type hunt.
When looking at 29 it looked like the frank was the bulk of the unit.
I would DIY in a heart beat as I have a couple of really good hunting partners and side by sides and horses of my own. But it depends on the unit and access probably wouldn't tackle a wilderness hunt DIY tho
PM answered.