My "Western Rifle" Weight

memtb

I
Its a backpack rifle and I dont long range rifle hunt. Its a 400 yard shooter, 280 AI , 168gr bullets, zeroed at 200 yards with a 2-15 42mm scope. I could take a 500 yard poke with it, but I dont rifle hunt like that.

Agree, heavier is better when taking long range shots.
I understand, it’s pretty much a “speciality rifle”! I keep forgetting that most of the “free world and China” are different than me. I keep thinking everyone is like me and will use one gun/rifle for everything! I cannot seem to change my mindset! But, I’m working on accepting those that are different! 😊 memtb

Reactions: Slugz

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I understand, it’s pretty much a “speciality rifle”! I keep forgetting that most of the “free world and China” are different than me. I keep thinking everyone is like me and will use one gun/rifle for everything! I cannot seem to change my mindset! But, I’m working on accepting those that are different! 😊 memtb
Actually......nothing special about it at all. Im not a guy that has a ton of rifles in the safe. I only have one. Ive been carrying around a 30-06 Rem700 for years. Has two loads. A 150gr and a 180gr Accubond. If your a small animal you get the 150gr pill. Elk and moose get the 180gr.

We tend to hunt " over the next ridge" most of the time and i wanted to trim some weight as I get older. 50 now, but didnt want to slow down or reduce my miles covered. Been contemplating a lightweight rifle for 2 years now. Been going back and forth between spending my money on a new SBE III shotgun or a custom rifle. That decision was made for me as we are now headed to Alaska next year for a DIY caribou hunt. 60lb weight restriction to include riflle.

So really no different at all except for me not taking long shots. Last elk was at 257 yards, year before that, 40 yards and 120 yards. Moose last year was 365 yards.

I wanted to make a
1) 7lb with scope light rifle
2) in a caliber I could use for anything I hunt in North America
3) 24 inch barrel
4) two loads just like my 30-06
5) 95% all shots under 400 yards with the ability to take a 500 yard shot by just holding over on the animals back. No dialing for elevation.
6) 1st and second shot of the group hole in near hole and third touching accuracy. So solidly under 1/2 MOA

So in the end. Its just like my 3006. A little more accurate and lighter. 😃