Thinking about coming back

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
I haven't hunted Colorado for 18 years. I elk hunted there 6-7 times. My son is 12 and ready to go out west. My buddy and I have been hunting Wyoming for the last 8 years and it's getting tougher to put a hunt together every year. If a guy was wanting to look at an area for deer or cow elk what part of the state would you look in? I used to hunt out by Salida and don't know how the hunting is out that way now? I have never punched a tag in Colorado. Also what is black bear hunting like in Colorado? I have never hunted bears but my son wants too and I might have to learn a new species to keep us hunting out west. Not looking for anyone's honey holes just a direction to get started. I am still trying to figure out how the point system even works out there. Feel free to pm also

Thanks for any help

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I know Idaho, Minnesota, and Wyoming have over the counter bear tags, may want to look at Michigan UP also not sure if they have over the counter. I know Wisconsin is draw only. Northern Minnesota and UP have large sections of public land. Could apply for cow tags in a couple states and if you don't draw go bear hunting on an over the counter tag.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Every state's point system is different. Some are pretty straight forward, others are pretty complex.
Basically in Colorado you can buy a point for a species or receive one if you apply and do not draw a tag for a species. There are variations like "weighted" points for certain species. My suggestion would be to narrow your search to a select few states and then get on their home page and start doing your research.

brian.320

Feb 27, 2011
Minnesota is over the counter in the no quota area but draw in the rest of state where there is more public land and more bears.

brian.320

Feb 27, 2011
does any one have an opioin on unit 11 4th is it worth 13 pts. have looked at the stats understand migration is it worth the points

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I spend a lot of time up that way 3 or 4 times out of the year scouting, prepping for September elk every year. There is a very healthy deer herd up there that is wide spread. Good terrain to glass. Take what im about to say as just my gut feeling from a guy with a fair amount of boots on the ground up that way.

Tags have not been easy to get as they have limited numbers to build a bigger healthier herd in 22, 11, 211, 12, 23, 24. Ive seen first hand evidence of it working the past 5-7 years. Any 4th season rifle tag i think is an awesome tag due to the past historic rut dates here in Colorado. The past 4 years November has not produced a large amount of snow. Its been easy 4th season hunting with regards to easier hiking and the ability for some one to cover ground and get to animals.
With some scouting, prep work, geography familiarization and gettting to your hunt area 3-4 days prior to scout.....I would think produces a very good chance at a 150 to 160 inch mule deer.
Bigger deer are in there.....time behind the glass is what it will take.

Lastly.....find the girls....and thats where the boys will be. Simple as that IMO for 4th rifle deer here in Colorado. Is it worth the 11 points......i dont think any deer tag in Colorado is worth the points if the hunter cannot spend 2-3 scouting trips i to the area during the summer months. Just my 2 sense. Hope that helps and good luck.

brian.320

Feb 27, 2011
Thanks Slugz looking at the later season dates 18-22 for 2020 and 24-28 for 2021 makes it look really good on paper, but I know there can be a lot of variables. Im also very good at bringing warm weather to a hunt. 13 points might not do it this year but maybe really liking them 2021 dates. Thanks again for your help.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Thanks Slugz looking at the later season dates 18-22 for 2020 and 24-28 for 2021 makes it look really good on paper, but I know there can be a lot of variables. Im also very good at bringing warm weather to a hunt. 13 points might not do it this year but maybe really liking them 2021 dates. Thanks again for your help.
13-15th November is pre rut in my opinion based upon hard chasing, visually seeing it and trail cams. Just FYI

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
I know Idaho, Minnesota, and Wyoming have over the counter bear tags, may want to look at Michigan UP also not sure if they have over the counter. I know Wisconsin is draw only. Northern Minnesota and UP have large sections of public land. Could apply for cow tags in a couple states and if you don't draw go bear hunting on an over the counter tag.
The Michigan UP has a draw but there a few areas and season dates that can be drawn with zero-3 points nonresident alot of the high demand areas and season dates require 10-14 points for nonresidents. The application period for bears is may 1-june 1 if you are interested in looking at michigan. I will say this dont even bother looking at the lower peninsula it very limited tags for nonresidents and o know the tag I'm after is at least 13 points for a resident last year

Reactions: Prerylyon

brian.320

Feb 27, 2011
Slugz i think i might have interupted a post but i talked to someone out of the meeker office today. They said the migration is lunar i always thought it was weather dependent any thoughts on that. I know boots on ground is key just have never heard this thought it was always weather.

Reactions: Slugz

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Slugz i think i might have interupted a post but i talked to someone out of the meeker office today. They said the migration is lunar i always thought it was weather dependent any thoughts on that. I know boots on ground is key just have never heard this thought it was always weather.
Ive never heard of that or read amything biological wise to support it. I think snow on the ground is the single deciding factor. If they cant eat, they will move.

brian.320

Feb 27, 2011
I haven't hunted Colorado for 18 years. I elk hunted there 6-7 times. My son is 12 and ready to go out west. My buddy and I have been hunting Wyoming for the last 8 years and it's getting tougher to put a hunt together every year. If a guy was wanting to look at an area for deer or cow elk what part of the state would you look in? I used to hunt out by Salida and don't know how the hunting is out that way now? I have never punched a tag in Colorado. Also what is black bear hunting like in Colorado? I have never hunted bears but my son wants too and I might have to learn a new species to keep us hunting out west. Not looking for anyone's honey holes just a direction to get started. I am still trying to figure out how the point system even works out there. Feel free to pm also

Thanks for any help
I hunted unit 48 bull elk 4 years ago we didnt punch a tag but 2 of 5 days broke high temp records with alittle luck we could of went 2 for 3 but thats how it goes. Takes 4pts to draw but i think you can probably draw a cow tag with 0 pts bear tag $100 if you have elk tag. We did see alot of bear sign but did not see a bear but weren't hunting them, colo reduced the price of them tags since we were there. Have 4 pts hoping to be back there this fall with elk and bear tag have to shoot elk 1st but if its like before there were 2 elk carcasses that were being fed on heavily, o and by the way if you try this get in shape its tough country. And bring your fishing gear.