WY Antelope Unit Info

bigsky2

Mar 9, 2011
I'm planning on cashing in my WY antelope points this year or next. I am looking for any info I can get on the following units: 48, 52, 53, 55, 62, 63, 73, 75, 76, 106, 108, 114. If anyone can share any info such as access issues, recent winterkills, or first hand hunting experience in any of these units it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is looking for info on MT I'd be happy to try and help.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I don't have a lot to offer, but some of those units hold some good/big speed goats. There were several threads along these lines over the past 6-8 months. If you do a quick search you may be able to turn up some good quick info to help you narrow down your choices and who to contact with follow up questions.

How many points do you have?

bigsky2

Mar 9, 2011
I've got 5 and my dad has 7, so if we applied as a party we would have 6. We would also consider entering the special draw. We live in Montana and can hunt antelope almost every year, so we're looking for a unit that offers us the best chance of taking some bigger bucks.

Reactions: Bonecollector

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I've got 5 and my dad has 7, so if we applied as a party we would have 6. We would also consider entering the special draw. We live in Montana and can hunt antelope almost every year, so we're looking for a unit that offers us the best chance of taking some bigger bucks.
Historically i'd look at the units SW of Casper that you listed, and north of I80. Great antelope all over that country, you won't go wrong with any of those tags.

zpooch

Very Active Member
Aug 11, 2016
Wyoming
All of the units listed have the potential for trophy quality antelope. I know that isn't helpful, but it is true. Figure out what you can draw and where you want to stay during your hunt and go from there. The Wyoming hunt planner can help with looking at public access and possible HMAs on some of those units as well.

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
For the best chance at bigger bucks I’d certainly go with the special draw. Generally, you’ll get more accessible land to hunt and as just about any unit in WY can produce a trophy, the more access the better. Carbon County WY has more B&C entries than any other county in North America. My search for a big one would start and end in that area of the state. Find a unit you could draw in that area last year with 5-6 points in the special and go. The WY Hunt Planner on the fish and game website is very helpful. Good luck.

Reactions: Prerylyon

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Other thing to consider is this winter. Sometimes, the winter kill can be an issue. You have lots of time til the application is due; my guess is they will have some reports out on the situation as we get towards April/May that would be worth a look before finalizing on a unit.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
For the best chance at bigger bucks I’d certainly go with the special draw. Generally, you’ll get more accessible land to hunt and as just about any unit in WY can produce a trophy, the more access the better. Carbon County WY has more B&C entries than any other county in North America. My search for a big one would start and end in that area of the state. Find a unit you could draw in that area last year with 5-6 points in the special and go. The WY Hunt Planner on the fish and game website is very helpful. Good luck.
I disagree with the ability to get the best chance at a bigger buck by going into the special draw. You need to look at the odds to draw the tag. I have used the special once with max points and didn't draw. If I would have did the regular draw, I would have drawn the tag I was looking for. You never know with the special draw, look at the history of the draw in the unit you want, and then make up your mind.

Oregonmuley

Jan 17, 2019
Jennings Lodge, Oregon
Sent you a PM - there is a unit on your list you can draw with I think 5 points in the regular draw that should get you some great hunting. Don't know a lot about all the units but have an idea on a couple of them.
You should have a fun hunt though - almost impossible not to have fun hunting antelopes:)

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
I disagree with the ability to get the best chance at a bigger buck by going into the special draw. You need to look at the odds to draw the tag. I have used the special once with max points and didn't draw. If I would have did the regular draw, I would have drawn the tag I was looking for. You never know with the special draw, look at the history of the draw in the unit you want, and then make up your mind.
Maybe I should have been more clear. My post wasn’t about the correlation between the special draw and antelope size.

It was about the fact that in the special draw, with points being equal, the special generally gets you in to units with more public land. That and the records from Carbon County. The correlation I was suggesting is between the amount of land you have to hunt and trophy opportunity. If you look at the draw odds, special vs regular is USUALLY a difference of 1-2 points for the same unit - that statement is in the MRS just about every year. And there is generally a direct correlation between the amount of points required and the amount of huntable public land. Sure there is the occasion where the extra money actually gets you less, but that’s not the norm. And generally those instances where the regular and special flip flop is a one time deal - it’s not consistent year over year in the same unit.

Looking at the draw odds and how point creep has gone over the last few years, the OP likely won’t have a prayer of drawing several of the units listed in the regular with 6 points. Yes, looking at the odds is great place to start as it was a kind of a waste to ask for info on say, 114 and 53 with 6 points, regular or special, if you are trying to burn 6 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigSexy