Portable power

billdoe708

May 10, 2015
Michigan
I'm looking for something to give me a few charges of a cell phone. I have been looking at the goal zeros Sherpa 100pd. Wondering if there is something better. I have also been looking for maybe something like those small battery boosters so it could pull double duty. Something that will hold up and be rugged.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
I'm looking for something to give me a few charges of a cell phone. I have been looking at the goal zeros Sherpa 100pd. Wondering if there is something better. I have also been looking for maybe something like those small battery boosters so it could pull double duty.

Thoughts?
image.jpgimage.jpg
anker powercore 20100 from Amazon
It’s been great. Used it in Alaska this year, charge phone for gps, watch, and inreach. It great. Would need solar or power to charge it though.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Lately I've been trying to stay light. I have several Goal Zero products and they're good but I mostly use them when I'm near my truck. They're almost never the lightest option other times.

This is what I use lately. I bought three. They have two features that are important to me. First, they automatically turn on. Not all chargers do that and I like being able to quickly plug in without having to take the charger out and press a button. This way I leave the charger in my pack with a cable plugged in and handy and I'm good to go.

Second, they charge my phone to 80% in about 30 minutes. There are faster chargers out there now, just look for "Power Delivery (PD)". Either way, a fast charger is really nice to have. I can plug my phone in while eating lunch and I'm good to go the rest of the day.

Each one will charge my phone about 4-5x depending on how dead I let it get. Make sure you go into airplane mode every chance you get, that saves a ton of battery power. I usually find I only need one charge a day - I'm not playing video games out there, just tracking my route and taking the occasional photo. Since I have three of them that means I can take only the weight I really need. That's the problem with big chargers. On small trips they're overkill. I bring one charger for every 3ish days I plan to be out, and I'm good to go.

I don't mess around with solar. They're a nice thought but they just don't put out enough power to be useful, especially if you're on the move a lot. I can bring 2 more charger packs for the weight of one panel big enough to actually do something useful. Maybe for a multi-month through hike of the AT they're good. But not for hunting.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The Sherpa 100 AC will give you a lot of charge but it might be a bit big for strictly cell phone use. I have used it to charge just about everything.