Unit 100 success

Mthuntermike

Feb 24, 2019
Oregon
After reviewing the news of a successful draw for unit 100 with maximum points I began the research. This forum was a great asset as members responded to my “call” for help. I had several members give very specific insight to the unit and elk behavior in this unique desert hunt environment. I purchased paper maps as well as electronic mapping programs with property ownership. I talked to people who hunted the unit or knew the area well for hours. Formed new friends in this wonderful hunting community.

The time came to put feet on the ground. I traveled from Oregon to Wyoming with my great friend. We spent time in many of the areas of this ginormous unit. The “elkalope” in the desert were amazing. We saw over 40 branch bulls and 10 of them in the 300-330.

We arrived with excitement and spent one more day scouting a few new areas the day before opener. Moose, deer, antelope and elk. Didn’t see any shooters but wanted to work these areas with binoculars. Did see one herd bull but he was busted up bad.

That night I made final decision to hunt a specific area. I could not get off an area that a person told me about and that I scouted hard and saw the largest bulls during scouting.

Day light found us at the location and the hunt began. I glasses up a very large 5x5. We move and glass. Move and glass. The areas you can’t see from the roads, we hiked to and glassed. Only saw 4 other vehicles. But they drive the roads.

The morning we saw two elk we could not identify and three bulls.

Lunch time. Made a plan for the afternoon. We worked the same. Drive and glass, repeat. Miles away my friend spotted elk. 3 bulls. We needed to get closer.

Tried to drive way around but failed with the two track road. Back to the original location. Single file slow walk to close the distance. 1 1/2 to 2 miles to them. We used the terrain and closed the distance. 500 yards. Hands and knees. Distance 200 to 300. See three bulls to include a large 5x5. Buddy didn’t feel good and said he saw a large bull and none of these where him.

Trust your buddy. Moved slow again. Bam, there he is. Only see antlers sticking up. Large! Move to 171 yards. Set up on shooting sticks. Wait. Wait. Wait. Talk over his size. He stands to feed. Decision made and one shot in heart.

Made it back to the truck after midnight.

It was the Perfect Day!

Thanks to all who gave advice and insight. I made new friends.

Attachments

Naturebob

Feb 28, 2016
phoenix, az.
I have an old Buddy there right now and heard He has glassed up over 100 bulls between Him and his Brother and nothing over 300. Hard to tell from pictures what your goes. Congrats big time. I have 11 points and gonna burn em next year. I am 63 and will never catch max. Living in AZ. 42 years am spoiled with big Elk. Got buddy in Casper said don't come up here and expect that unless You pay 8 K and I am not doing that. . Have a safe trip home...............BOB!

Reactions: Mthuntermike

Mthuntermike

Feb 24, 2019
Oregon
I have an old Buddy there right now and heard He has glassed up over 100 bulls between Him and his Brother and nothing over 300. Hard to tell from pictures what your goes. Congrats big time. I have 11 points and gonna burn em next year. I am 63 and will never catch max. Living in AZ. 42 years am spoiled with big Elk. Got buddy in Casper said don't come up here and expect that unless You pay 8 K and I am not doing that. . Have a safe trip home...............BOB!
Mine is rough 330. Plus or minus. Bulls everywhere and a lot of 280 to 320. Could not find any larger but I am happy with this bull. As I said, Perfect Day!

After reviewing the news of a successful draw for unit 100 with maximum points I began the research. This forum was a great asset as members responded to my “call” for help. I had several members give very specific insight to the unit and elk behavior in this unique desert hunt environment. I purchased paper maps as well as electronic mapping programs with property ownership. I talked to people who hunted the unit or knew the area well for hours. Formed new friends in this wonderful hunting community.

The time came to put feet on the ground. I traveled from Oregon to Wyoming with my great friend. We spent time in many of the areas of this ginormous unit. The “elkalope” in the desert were amazing. We saw over 40 branch bulls and 10 of them in the 300-330.

We arrived with excitement and spent one more day scouting a few new areas the day before opener. Moose, deer, antelope and elk. Didn’t see any shooters but wanted to work these areas with binoculars. Did see one herd bull but he was busted up bad.

That night I made final decision to hunt a specific area. I could not get off an area that a person told me about and that I scouted hard and saw the largest bulls during scouting.

Day light found us at the location and the hunt began. I glasses up a very large 5x5. We move and glass. Move and glass. The areas you can’t see from the roads, we hiked to and glassed. Only saw 4 other vehicles. But they drive the roads.

The morning we saw two elk we could not identify and three bulls.

Lunch time. Made a plan for the afternoon. We worked the same. Drive and glass, repeat. Miles away my friend spotted elk. 3 bulls. We needed to get closer.

Tried to drive way around but failed with the two track road. Back to the original location. Single file slow walk to close the distance. 1 1/2 to 2 miles to them. We used the terrain and closed the distance. 500 yards. Hands and knees. Distance 200 to 300. See three bulls to include a large 5x5. Buddy didn’t feel good and said he saw a large bull and none of these where him.

Trust your buddy. Moved slow again. Bam, there he is. Only see antlers sticking up. Large! Move to 171 yards. Set up on shooting sticks. Wait. Wait. Wait. Talk over his size. He stands to feed. Decision made and one shot in heart.

Made it back to the truck after midnight.

It was the Perfect Day!

Thanks to all who gave advice and insight. I made new friends.
Congratulations! What a beautiful set of antlers for the wall and great memories. Hunted 100 for cow elk several years ago and saw some big ones.