Canadian Border Crossing

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Sat 5 hr tonight before being rained out.
No sightings yet but it is early. Today was cold damp day even before rain came.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was told by my guided to figure at least 1 or 2 nights it would rain up there

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Take bug spray, I just drove thru and it was buggy! If your carry pepper spray, make sure it's made for bears and not O.C. spray for people. The Canada officers have asked me that each time.

You're going to have a great trip, I'm sure!

Lucky me, I get to go fishing with Colorado Cowboy on Thursday and Saturday!
How was fishing?

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Good luck BC. My Father and sister crossed into New Brunswick yesterday morning to begin bear hunting this evening. They had an hour wait at customs. Once they told them they were going hunting, things seemed to go smoother.

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
Hope you're enjoying your bear hunt. Is it all tree stand hunting over bait or is it possible to do some spot and stalk style hunting? What's camp like? I've never been on a guided hunt so I'm curious as to your experience.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Hope you're enjoying your bear hunt. Is it all tree stand hunting over bait or is it possible to do some spot and stalk style hunting? What's camp like? I've never been on a guided hunt so I'm curious as to your experience.
When I went on my hunt in September it was all tree stand over bait. Guide said on occasion they get calls to help with nuisance bears. Our camp was the original homestead building for the property next to the guides house. We went in the fall in Ontario so we could hunt small game and fish in the morning and then hunted bears in the afternoon.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Not much signal here

Went out Wednesday and searched for about two hours and could not find my bear I shot last night unfortunately. I was extremely disappointed for not only not recovering the bear after what look like a good hit but the fact that he was a trophy bear. Hopefully I can find another bear. However I am sure it will be tough to find one that will rival the one I shot.

Fishing has been good.

Marcus
Walleye keepers are 12 5/8 - 18 1/2

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
That's not what you want to have happen at all. Always a terrible feeling losing an animal. Too bad your outfitter didn't have a dog that will track wounded animals.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've been there BC.

Different species, but can relate to it. Walking in circles. Tracking. Looking for blood, hair, prints in the dark; in unfamilar terrain. Many of us will recall these feelings.

You know this: after doing the right things, you can get back on another one; you may still have a good bruin cross your path. Hardest thing for me, probably many of us, is to let go and get back in the game. Like 4th quarter in football, you still have time on the clock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last edited:

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
I've been there BC.

Different species, but can relate to it. Walking in circles. Tracking. Looking for blood, hair, prints in the dark; in unfamilar terrain. Many of us will recall these feelings.

You know this: after doing the right things, you can get back on another one; you may still have a good bruin cross your path. Hardest thing for me, probably many of us, is to let go and get back in the game. Like 4th quarter in football, you still have time on the clock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
Great analogy here prerylyon

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Time has expired. Saw a 2nd bear on walk out of stand back to boat on 7th and final evening.
Guess he was contemplating a boat ride with me. lol
Was a late winter up here this year and season change is about 2 weeks late.
Guide did a great job and saw lot of bear sign. Few others in camp did tag out.
The price is very reasonable as he runs a small operation and truly wants you to be successful and I will come back to hunt. His success usually runs 90% but it was an odd year.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Bone collector sound like you a great time and the experience is the majority of the hunt in these cases. Its definitely addicting I was ready to go back the minute I got home from the trip. Hope you took lots of pictures.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I know the pain. We ate some humble pie on the way home from Alaska last spring.

Better luck next time!