Iowa Unit 5

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Hey guys, My parents expect to hunt Unit 5 in Iowa this year for the 2nd gun season. They have been e-scouting the area quite a bit. Mostly thinking about hunting WMA and Walk in land. Any tips you could send my way that I could pass along to them would be awesome. They both trophy hunt. Not looking to kill anything under 160....Would this be possible in that area on public land? Thanks!

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
'TN,

I live here in Iowa. I posted about public land whitetail buck hunting in a few threads over the last few yrs. Look those posts up. PM will be sent over the weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
'TN,

I live here in Iowa. I posted about public land whitetail buck hunting in a few threads over the last few yrs. Look those posts up. PM will be sent over the weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
Ok thank you!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

crock239

Sep 18, 2012
Iowa City, IA
I hunt public in IA quite a bit, might be able to help u out, but I primarily archery hunt to be able to hunt the rut. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

In my experience there's always a chance at 160 plus, but that's a very high bar. 140s fairly doable, 150s decent possibility, 160s possible but gonna need some luck to go your way

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Another thing to consider, due to the cold wet spring, harvest is running late-easily month behind here in east central Iowa.

We had our 1st real cold snap late last week and it got some of the bucks moving around a bit. I was telling Bonecollector over the weekend how in the beanfield north of my house, on Saturday morning there was something shiny at sunrise about 500 yards out. Binoculars revealed they were antlers on a high racked 160 class buck-bedded right out in the unpicked beanfield.

Good luck to all! We have some nice ones for you! 👍

Reactions: TN911