2019 Turkey Picture Thread

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
Traveled to Florida at the end of March to try my hand at my first Osceola on public land. We were greeted with cold (for Florida) and rain. No gobbling meant we went and checked fields. We came across this guy with 6 hens in a field. A quick game of rock, paper, scissors determined I was the one to go after him. I snuck as close as I could with the ?gobbler? pictured and shot the bird with the Remington 12 gauge while he was making his way out of the field. I feel very fortunate to bag this bird as I was the only one to score a bird this trip. Completed my slam with this Osceola.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Scouted yesterday. Found one feather a few tracks, no gobbles and elk again in my turkey spot. Need to maybe start calling it my elk spot and the turkeys will roll in!!

chiefgobbler

Jun 26, 2011
Central California
Had a great weekend! Saturday my 84 year old turkey hunting mentor Bob who got me hooked 30 years ago, my Grandson Cole and I took nice longbeards. Bob and Cole doubled on their birds. I killed mine about an hour later. These birds looked like they had been terrorized by a Boss Gobbler. All had some tail feathers missing and other scars.
2019 Turkey 1.jpgturkey6.jpg
Went back out Sunday with my Grandson Cole. And I was able to get this longbeard who had a 9 1/2 inch beard and spurs just over 1 inch. He responded to my mouth call but hung up at about 80 yards. Cole did several soft purrs on his box call and after about 30 minutes he finally strutted to within 35 yards of my Avian X decoy. Down without a flop using the new TSS Shells. The first time he called a bird in for me. Great memories!
2019 Turkey 3.jpgturkey5.jpgturkey4.jpg

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
My boys filled out opening morning. My 15 year old got his first archery bird, and my 12 year old got a big bodied bird by sneaking and calling behind our Tom decoy. I finally get to hunt now, and took feathers off a nice tom this morning with my bow. Just plain choked. We’ve got plenty of birds and lots of time.13641762-F430-49B2-89EC-72B515EB6734.jpg585A5975-7065-4B1A-9345-6D58A2C7FC2A.jpg

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
It's been a pretty fun spring so far!
A buddy and I headed to Kansas for the archery portion, toting his new crossbow.
We scouted two toms and their harem of hens the night before, and got set up early the next morning. The birds completely read the script, pitched down, and were headed in right off the bat. The two toms struggled to commit to the decoy, with one bird walking away to about 200 yards away, before deciding he wanted to fight, and racing all the way back in. In full strut, my buddy about cut his head off, bird didnt even flop. The second tom stuck around, we got the crossbow loaded, and I tried to shoot him, but the bow wouldnt fire. I had my bow behind the blind, but we let him go.
An hour or two later, we checked another farm, and found a few toms in an alfalfa field. We got around in front of them, set up within about 100 yards, called once or twice, and the whole group came racing in. The crossbow decided to shoot this time, and I was on the board.
IMG_4684.jpg

After striking out on the Missouri opener, I went back to Kansas for the shotgun opener this past Wednesday. At 8am, a bird popped out 250 yards away, I call, he struts and starts walking my way. His hen pops out behind him, and I thought I was gonna be in trouble. But, he ran across the field to me, with his hen chasing him the entire way. He ran into 15 yards, and met a hot load of TSS #9s. Done in Kansas.
IMG_4702.jpg
IMG_4699.jpg

On my way home from Kansas, I stopped by a Missouri farm to check for birds. Saw a strutter about 3/4 of a mile a way, and headed out to get in front of him. Got set up where I thought he'd be coming through, called once, he rips it, and pops over the hill, running in. I didnt get hid as good as I wanted, and he got there so quick I wasnt ready, so he got a little sketchy, and started to leave. TXX #9 stroked him at 36 yards, my longest shot ever on a turkey. Done with the first week Missouri bird. Out of commission until Monday. Wife has demanded honey do's get completed, so I cant even call for anyone this weekend. I'm in depression.
IMG_4719.jpg

Last edited:

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Got mine this morning, it was the one I hit yesterday morning. When the birds pitched down, this guy was hurting bad from yesterday’s arrow, and got hung up in the lower branches. So when we left the blind, he spooked to the ground and tried hiding in a fallen tree. Put another one through him and it was done. A miracle we got him 3DEC84FE-D90D-451A-BF29-2CC248C1EA5C.jpg

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Got mine this morning, it was the one I hit yesterday morning. When the birds pitched down, this guy was hurting bad from yesterday’s arrow, and got hung up in the lower branches. So when we left the blind, he spooked to the ground and tried hiding in a fallen tree. Put another one through him and it was done. A miracle we got him View attachment 23377
Nice recovery.
I'm beginning to really hate shooting them with a bow. Had perfect success for many years, then had an awful year in 2017, sticking several birds, and not getting them back. I did shoot one of them with a shotgun a week or so later. they're tough birds, and I'm sure that many survive an errant bow shot, but man, I feel terrible when I shoot one and don't get him back.