water pureifiers

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have been looking at water filtration options for a backcountry trip.
anyone ever use the pure to go water purifers

OR the sawyer macro?
if so how did they work for you ?

or does anyone have one they prefer?

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
MSR Miniworks EX is one of the best I have used. Other good options out there, but that one has been one of the most reliable.

andrew12gauge

Aug 26, 2016
If you?re using a pretty clear watersource or don?t mind grit, get yourself a steripen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
I have and MSR Sweetwater that I've used for years backpacking but now I switched to Platypus Gravityworks. I'll never go back to pumping. Smaller and lighter too.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I like my katadyn hiker pro...i hated my Sawyer mini... pain in the a**. Always getting plugged up if water is any bit dirty and also takes forever to get a nalgene worth. With the katadyn, i can fill up a 100oz bladder in minutes.. i also i have an inline attachment with my platypus bladder hose so I never have to take my bladder out of my pack when loaded with gear, just plug my pump right into it and fill.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: HuntNerd

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
If you?re using a pretty clear watersource or don?t mind grit, get yourself a steripen

my whole life I have simply drank straight from a small stream or spring avoiding rivers and lakes . never had an issue with getting sick.

filter is intended for no real clean source being available. and having to get water from a mtn lake or other possible contaminated source.

andrew12gauge

Aug 26, 2016
my whole life I have simply drank straight from a small stream or spring avoiding rivers and lakes . never had an issue with getting sick.

filter is intended for no real clean source being available. and having to get water from a mtn lake or other possible contaminated source.
It will definitely decontaminate any watersource better than a filter but if its a stagnant watersource you may have a little grit left over

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
It will definitely decontaminate any watersource better than a filter but if its a stagnant watersource you may have a little grit left over

Little bit of cheesecloth goes a long way towards filtering out some of that grit. I really love my Steripen.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I learned the hard way that a couple dozen coffee filters are worth thier weight in gold in the back-country.

You can even wipe with one if you 100% had to.... dont ask...lol

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I use a MSR pump style filter into a nalgene then I use a steripen to finish it off. Works great and have never had a problem.

If the filter ever freezes up or fails somehow, it hasn?t, you always have the steripen to do the job.

conibear

Oct 15, 2017
I use a MSR pump style filter into a nalgene then I use a steripen to finish it off. Works great and have never had a problem.

If the filter ever freezes up or fails somehow, it hasn?t, you always have the steripen to do the job.
+1 again. MSR > anything

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I like the Steripen if I have a water source big enough to fill a Nalgene from. I have a synthetic bandana with a rubber band I put over the top of the bottle and submerge at least partially to fill it, then I run the steripen in it. I have a small filter straw in my emergency kit I can drink from something smaller with in a pinch. I have a Katadyn hiker and a couple Sawyers too but like this as good as any method as long as the water source is big enough.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I like the Steripen if I have a water source big enough to fill a Nalgene from. I have a synthetic bandana with a rubber band I put over the top of the bottle and submerge at least partially to fill it, then I run the steripen in it. I have a small filter straw in my emergency kit I can drink from something smaller with in a pinch. I have a Katadyn hiker and a couple Sawyers too but like this as good as any method as long as the water source is big enough.
You nailed one of the biggest challenges out there when it comes to using steripen, or drops, etc. Sometimes the filter is one of the best ways to actually acquire the water from a very small source, so after some hard lessons I learned that I should always have a filter when I am hunting new country.