Looking for a reputable New Mexico Elk outfitter for a 2019 rifle hunt.

2footroper

Dec 30, 2018
Hello,
First time post here for me. I was blessed with a gift of my first rifle elk hunt from my wife and mother-in-law for Christmas. At 60 years old and a lifelong whitetail bow hunter, this is a dream bucket list item for me. My head is spinning just looking at the different outfitters available in New Mexico. I would like to hunt private land so I don't have to worry about drawing a permit. I have unsuccessfully gone through that process for 5 years for a Colorado tag and I'm not getting any younger. Do any of y'all have any suggestions or references for elk outfitters? Thanks in advance for any help.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
you might give lancasters outfitters a look to se what they have to offer.. they guide colo and new mexico. been around a long time and are very honest.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
On the Colorado tags, why not just purchase one of the OTC tags along with putting in for the draw?

There is some great opportunity out there on the OTC units.

2footroper

Dec 30, 2018
I did that once and hunted with some friends outside Pagosa Springs several years back. Never laid eyes on an elk but almost got run over by mule deer. Second season elk was first season mule deer and I didn't draw a permit for that either.

2footroper

Dec 30, 2018
Well I just booked yesterday with Mark Harper and Rancho Rojo outfitters for my first guided elk hunt. Thanks to everyone who gave me their suggestions. I had sent many emails out to various outfitters that included my phone number. I had only 2 that replied via email and three who reached out to me on the phone. I chose one of the three who bothered to call me as all three of them were kind enough to want to speak directly to me about my concerns. Now comes the training and preparations for the trip. Man I can't wait!

plough

Dec 11, 2017
Well I just booked yesterday with Mark Harper and Rancho Rojo outfitters for my first guided elk hunt. Thanks to everyone who gave me their suggestions. I had sent many emails out to various outfitters that included my phone number. I had only 2 that replied via email and three who reached out to me on the phone. I chose one of the three who bothered to call me as all three of them were kind enough to want to speak directly to me about my concerns. Now comes the training and preparations for the trip. Man I can't wait!
i dang near hired mark harper for my valle caldera hunt this year until i found a unique deal i couldnt pass up....harper comes highly recommended...be sure and post results