Wyoming MRS 2019

brushcreek

Apr 4, 2013
Arkansas
I read the Eastmans MRS section for elk and I'm confused about points. Several times in the article in mentions that max points is 13 going into the draw. But then it mentions a few pages later that "a nonresident will need a bundle of points, well more than max at this point." Then there is a chart on the next to last page that color codes how many points are needed to guarantee a draw. The last option is 29-76 points. What is going on here?

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Max is 13 going into 2019. Points needed used to be the points one would have after all current apps have been drawn for a given hunt. Kind of a timeline type thing for someone starting today. OR has a cpl hunts that are 100 year waits to get thru everybody.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I read the Eastmans MRS section for elk and I'm confused about points. Several times in the article in mentions that max points is 13 going into the draw. But then it mentions a few pages later that "a nonresident will need a bundle of points, well more than max at this point." Then there is a chart on the next to last page that color codes how many points are needed to guarantee a draw. The last option is 29-76 points. What is going on here?
Depends on the state. Wyoming has been using NR points for 13 years now. This year the max points anyone can have is 13. Don't know how long Colorado has been using points, but there are folks out there with 25 points.....that's 25 years worth!

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
So here's an interesting question for those in the know:

Take the example of CO; are the glam units of a quarter century ago, by & large, the same high demand/point units of 2019?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have a friend that has 24 for Colorado Elk. He still has not drawn his archery tag for 201.

Reality is, he may never draw. I certainly will not in my lifetime.

I think max points in Coloado is 28 or 29 points right now.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If they have only been running a point system for 13 years that will make max points 13, then next year they will be 14 points.

I am not sure when Wyoming started the point system so a little research would help.

brushcreek

Apr 4, 2013
Arkansas
If they have only been running a point system for 13 years that will make max points 13, then next year they will be 14 points.

I am not sure when Wyoming started the point system so a little research would help.
I understand what max points means, but I don't understand why the MRS article says it takes more than max points to draw certain areas. How is that possible?

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Max points is 13.

There are no points for mountain goats for either R or NR in Wyoming.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I think that without actually knowing when Wyoming started the points system and seeing that all the tags went to the max point holders with a lot that didn't draw they are saying that you need a lot of luck and also need to have max points. So max points +

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
I'm still confused, if max points is 13 how could you need more to draw? there's no way to get more right?
As was noted earlier, it may take 25 years to draw even if you are in the max point pool for a given hunt, because of licenses vs applicants. Therefor, you might have 25 points before you draw that hunt if you're the last guy in that point pool to draw.

Last edited:

Steve O

Apr 26, 2012
Michigan
They are trying to show how many years it would take to deplete the max point pool at the current level of tags given and applications.

It is NOT saying you can draw it with more points.

It’s just an illustration to show how popular the unit is now how you can draw it with some magic extra preference points.