2018 Seasons have begun!

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
So now that seasons are underway in quite a few states and the northern tier of states has seen some cold and snow what's everyone seeing for birds? Here in Northern Wyoming most of our teal have gone and the first wave of mallards has arrived. Our first split closes tomorrow and we have ten days for the birds to rest and for us to as well. There have been lots of geese in the air over our prairies and mountains and the agricultural areas are seeing birds piling into harvested fields. I'm thinking November could be really good!

What's everyone else seeing?

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Hunted the Central Kansas early duck season opener over the weekend. Numbers were incredible, between the public we hunted, and all the private ground that had sheetwater on it after the 15 or so inches of rain we've received in the last few days, there were probably well over 200,000 birds in the area.

Saturday started slow, but by 8am, the birds really picked up, and we filled our 6man limit by 9. Black Dawg made some killer retrieves, including a few times where she would bring back two at once. The hunting partners were impressed, but I just assured them that Dee is just lazy, not uber talented.
IMG_4174.jpg

Sunday brought more rain, plummeting temperatures and 30mph north winds. It was too dangerous to cross our original spot, so we ate breakfast, and cruised around looking for birds. Finally found a bunch of teal working a freshly flooded pasture, got in and set up at 10, and were walking out with another 6man at 11:15.
10-15-2018 11-44-45 AM.jpg

Missouri has a ton of water, the reservoirs are all flooded. Duck season opens in 2 weeks, if the water holds, it could be a great one.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Hunted the Central Kansas early duck season opener over the weekend. Numbers were incredible, between the public we hunted, and all the private ground that had sheetwater on it after the 15 or so inches of rain we've received in the last few days, there were probably well over 200,000 birds in the area.

Saturday started slow, but by 8am, the birds really picked up, and we filled our 6man limit by 9. Black Dawg made some killer retrieves, including a few times where she would bring back two at once. The hunting partners were impressed, but I just assured them that Dee is just lazy, not uber talented.
View attachment 22309

Sunday brought more rain, plummeting temperatures and 30mph north winds. It was too dangerous to cross our original spot, so we ate breakfast, and cruised around looking for birds. Finally found a bunch of teal working a freshly flooded pasture, got in and set up at 10, and were walking out with another 6man at 11:15.
View attachment 22310

Missouri has a ton of water, the reservoirs are all flooded. Duck season opens in 2 weeks, if the water holds, it could be a great one.
Looks like a great weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I’ve seen a ton of geese this year early. All Canadians here but they seem to be all over. We will be heading to Ca soon to see the tornadoes of snow geese.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Took one on the chin last saturday, our opener.... Had about 500 ducks using this little 40 acre flooded millet. Showed up Saturday morning, kicked no ducks off, ended up shooting one, saw very few. Not really sure what happened, but it hurt my feelings.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Took one on the chin last saturday, our opener.... Had about 500 ducks using this little 40 acre flooded millet. Showed up Saturday morning, kicked no ducks off, ended up shooting one, saw very few. Not really sure what happened, but it hurt my feelings.
That has happened to me dozens of times. I always wondered what happened. It happens a lot hunting rivers for some reason.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Sure wish I lived in that path. I used to hunt the Eastern End of Lake Ontario and think it was impressive. Nothing compares to out there though.

rlrobinhood

Nov 6, 2018
WY
So, I'm new to the forum. Anybody having any luck? Its been a great year so far for me. No huge numbers, but consistently getting a few each outing. I did well on teal early in the first season and now picking up mallards. Geese are starting to show up in numbers too, but no luck on them yet. I have a new lab this year and trying to kill as many birds over him as possible. Never enough...