Beetles in N. CA

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A lot of taxidermist even have the beetles to take care of it and if they don't they should know someone that does.

VinnyG

Oct 4, 2018
Colorado
My grandpa lives in Santa Rosa, and he uses Pacific Skulls, on Calistoga road. I think its around 150$ and they do a good job from what he has said.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
Have you used their services. Looks pricey for a deer skull.
I would tend to agree, $225 for an antelope is pricey as well.

The one I mentioned earlier in Montana is $75 for a deer or antelope, and the trifecta (elk, deer, antelope) is only $250.

So in the end you could spend $50 shipping each way for a deer/antelope and still save money. Crazy what stuff costs in California.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I used to have skulls done by Skulls Unlimited and they quickly priced themselves out of my business. I started to do my own skulls and I can put one from Skulls Unlimited next to one that I have done and you can not tell the difference.

I had my own way of doing it but a member here posted a recipe on the forum and I have been following it with fantastic results. And all it takes is a day at most, except for some waiting while some whiting agents do their thing.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
I used to have skulls done by Skulls Unlimited and they quickly priced themselves out of my business. I started to do my own skulls and I can put one from Skulls Unlimited next to one that I have done and you can not tell the difference.

I had my own way of doing it but a member here posted a recipe on the forum and I have been following it with fantastic results. And all it takes is a day at most, except for some waiting while some whiting agents do their thing.
It is actually pretty easy, and cheap, once you get the materials. I have done a few deer skulls, but wanted a beetle cleaner primarily for bear skulls to prevent shrinkage. Looks like that is going to be an out of state thing.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
They still boil the skull to break down the meat, brains, and everything else on the skull. I am not sure if they then degrease it or put it in with the beetles.

There was a Dirty Jobs show on working at Skulls Unlimited and they showed that everything gets put into their stew pot before the beetles get it.

There may be a YouTube video of how they do it if you search for it. The only way that someone wouldn't cook it first would be those that stick in into water and let the rot begin.