Youth Hunting Opportunity - Need Assistance

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
One of my best friends has a kid who is really getting into hunting. I have taken him out with me a couple times and he loves it. He is 11 and has already completed his hunters safety course.

Problem for this year is that he doesn?t turn 12 until December 27th, which limits basically all seasons for him this year.... except for a few PLO cow elk tags where seasons run into January. Does anyone have know of a ranch/LO that would allow him to come hunt in Late Dec/Jan for this year? There are some tags on the leftover list I could grab for him.

I would accompany him on the hunt and I am an experienced hunter, so just trying to find some access. I realize this is probably a long shot, but thought I would throw it out there. Thanks everyone.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
CM are you looking to pay a access fee ? Or just get access from someone ? I can send you a number to call to a small outfitter/farmer in GMU58.....LO tags and access for a slam dunk hunt. Just not sure of his current prices. If interested PM me.

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
Slugz - thanks for the idea. I was able to secure him a late season deer tag in the leftover draws yesterday, just missed on a late season elk tag. Im still open to elk ideas, but I would prefer not to pay an access fee. I know sometimes folks let kids come out for free (although I totally understand the market). He has the deer tag though, so he will be very excited. Next year will be easy since he wont have season limitations.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
One problem with late season hunts is that you are dependent on the weather. Some areas are fairly good when there is a little bit of snow and others aren't. I have a area near me that has a late season cow elk season. The only problem is that the elk stay up on the private which is up high until the snows push them down, then when they come down they come all the way down and do it fast into some other private in another unit. It is a hard unit to hunt on that late season tag.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Slugz - thanks for the idea. I was able to secure him a late season deer tag in the leftover draws yesterday, just missed on a late season elk tag. Im still open to elk ideas, but I would prefer not to pay an access fee. I know sometimes folks let kids come out for free (although I totally understand the market). He has the deer tag though, so he will be very excited. Next year will be easy since he wont have season limitations.
May be able to find someone on the interweb, craigslist etc down in GMU128 south of Pueblo.......there clearly is an issue down there. Plenty of C cow tags. Probably farmer issues, crop damage. I'd ring the district game manager. There may be even a list he has on his desk of farmers that want hunters.