dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
From A Email i got from SCI
delete.jpg
Member Alert
Oppose California AB 2805
SCI strongly opposes AB 2805, legislation that could destroy wild pig populations. Please use SCI's Action Center to contact your state legislators now and tell them you oppose AB 2805.

Assembly Bill 2805 is scheduled to be heard in the Assembly Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee April 10 at 9:15 a.m. in Room 444 of the State Capitol.

After contacting state legislators, go the next step and contact the bills' author, Frank Bigelow, and tell him you are opposed to this bill. Call his office at (916) 319-2005, fax him at (916) 319-2105 or email him at assemblymember.bigelow@assembly.ca.gov.

Potential effects of AB2805:

The wild pig would lose its game mammal status and be reclassified as non-game, exotic or another designation that would allow them to be killed in large numbers by any means;
Wild pigs could be trapped and killed in the traps and possibly even poisoned. These methods could affect non-targeted animals as well as the pigs;
The requirements for property owners to obtain a permit to kill depredating wild pigs and to report on the number killed would be eliminated, thus doing away with any Department of Fish and Wildlife (DFW) oversight and recordkeeping needed for proper management of wild pig populations;
Landowners could freely kill pigs by claiming they are threatening their property. The pigs would no longer be managed under the principles of scientific wildlife management, but by politics, speculation and emotion;
Would repeal the requirement that DFW notify landowners of the option to use hunting as a means of reducing the number of wild pigs on their property; and
Wild pig tag/validation money could no longer to be used by DFW to engage in programs that benefit wild pigs, and thus hunters, but could be used instead to develop "management" that could authorize the indiscriminate killing of pigs on a large scale by property owners. Using hunting-generated fees in this manner is unethical.

Last edited:

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Called in support of this bill it is the correct way to handle an invasive species, which means in ca it has zero chance of passing and will probably backfire and they'll get protected like so many other things.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
Seems like California is following other states lead on these animals. Treat them like an invasive species and reduce rules and regulations to allow landowners to do more. I don't really see the issue.

Now you will be able to shoot them from a helicopter like they do in Texas, except with non toxic bullets. LOL.

This part is quite funny.
Wild pig tag/validation money could no longer to be used by DFW to engage in programs that benefit wild pigs, and thus hunters, but could be used instead to develop "management" that could authorize the indiscriminate killing of pigs on a large scale by property owners. Using hunting-generated fees in this manner is unethical

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
California has been hunting pigs since before it got to be a problem and popular. I shot my first pig in 1960 north of Paso Robles. Back then all you needed was a hunting license. Later F & G realized they could make $$$ on them and then required a tag for them. Lots of $$$ made on private prop for hunting them as most are on private land.

As I see it the real reason for this legislation is where the tag $$$ is spent. Many years ago when the state started their "trout stamp" program, the $$$ generated was supposed to be used for fish hatcheries and stocking trout....a pay as you go type of program. F & G started diverting $$$ to other programs and got taken to court. The legislature passed a bill requiring monies generated by these special stamps ( upland game, trout, hogs, ocean enhancement, etc) to be spent on the individual programs only. F & G was pretty unhappy. By passing this legislation on hogs, it lets them spend the tag money on anything they want. It will probably generate a lot more money too by taking all the controls off the hunting....just buy the tag!

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
They are feral, right? Damage habitat by tearing things up, right? They ought to be classified as a pest. You can hunt them about all you want, and there will still be plenty...

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
There doesn't seem to be any shortage of feral pigs in the southeastern states where they are considered vermin and hunted day and night with no limits. With all the damage they do they really are vermin.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
I can remember when they weren’t classified as a big game species in CA.......I’ll need to do more research on this, but it doesn’t sound like a terrible idea.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Like I said in my post, Cal F & G made them a game animal so they could sell tags for them.

Back in the 50's they were called "Russian Boars" and were supposedly stocked pre WW II by Hearst on his land where Hearst Castle is. As I remember they were stocked from Tennessee or Kentucky.

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
If you California guys start running low on pigs to hunt, just come to Louisiana and get as many of these porkers as you can and take them home with you. We shoot them day and night. Hunt them with dogs. Trap them. We'll never get rid of all of them. They are a disease vector, they displace native wildlife, predate on native wildlife, and cause serious agricultural damage every year. Seriously, come and take as many as you need.

And for the record, I love wild pigs. They taste delicious.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
If you California guys start running low on pigs to hunt, just come to Louisiana and get as many of these porkers as you can and take them home with you. We shoot them day and night. Hunt them with dogs. Trap them. We'll never get rid of all of them. They are a disease vector, they displace native wildlife, predate on native wildlife, and cause serious agricultural damage every year. Seriously, come and take as many as you need.

Is there plenty of public land in LA to hunt them in.

JNDEER

Mar 11, 2011
Interesting topic. First I have heard of it.

My initial feeling, coming from a public land hunter, is as a non-game species I can for see many, many people hunting for them at all hours (night) which IMO could result any many managed big game species being taken, killed and poached.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
There is no season and limit in California, you just have to buy the tags! They used to be 5 for $5! Now I think they're around $15 a piece!

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida

I'm with you, they are in every county in FL. Plenty of public land to hunt them too. Just got an email today from FWC announcing extended seasons in WMA's. With sows being able to have 2 litters a year of several hogs i don't see how they will ever get rid of them.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
$23 to shoot a pig?When I lived there they were begging us to shoot them.Heck the golf courses would let you spotlight them on the course.

Jrod

Jan 30, 2012
Livermore, CA
I like it. We shouldnt be charged to shoot an invasive rodent. Most are on private land and these guys want upwards of a thousand dollars to do them a favor, never paid, never will. And I doubt landowners dont already hammer them on private property with or without tags. If they are tearing up their property they are shot on sight.
Also there is no season and no limit already. Sounds like a good idea so it probably wont go anywhere, its california