CO Hybrid draw

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I am planning to put in for an elk point again this year (making it #11), and will put my app. for a hybrid tag for one of those NW impossible to draw without max point units. There are so few NR tags, that I wonder if they ever actually have any hybrid drawn. When looking at the draw stats from past years in those units on the F&G site, it looks like all of the available NR tags went to the top point holders. In my confused mind, if a hybrid was drawn, wouldn't there be one in there showing lesser points? Perhaps the vast majority of applicants are the top point holders, so the hybrid may well end up with one of them anyway. Any insights?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Can't say about the units you are referring to, BUT I drew a Hybrid Tag for Antelope in 2012. Before they increased the tags in unit 3, it was one that had Hybrid status. It took 15 to draw and I had 12 and drew the tag.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
This might explain it a little bit:

Colorado has a hybrid draw for some deer, elk and antelope hunts. If a hunt has required ten or more resident preference points to draw on average over a three year period, up to 20% of those licenses will go in a random draw called the hybrid draw. A minimum of five preference points is required to be considered in the hybrid draw. Group applications are not permitted in the random hybrid draw. Residents that meet the minimum five points have a slim random chance to draw some of the best hunts in the state if they choose to apply for them.

So why do nonresidents not have a chance in the hybrid draw? The random hybrid draw occurs after the regular draw and the nonresident quotas are already met in the regular draw for almost every hunt so there are no nonresident permits available for the hybrid draw. The only hunts that could be drawn under the current system by nonresidents are antelope hunts, which do not have a nonresident quota.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
This might explain it a little bit:

Colorado has a hybrid draw for some deer, elk and antelope hunts. If a hunt has required ten or more resident preference points to draw on average over a three year period, up to 20% of those licenses will go in a random draw called the hybrid draw. A minimum of five preference points is required to be considered in the hybrid draw. Group applications are not permitted in the random hybrid draw. Residents that meet the minimum five points have a slim random chance to draw some of the best hunts in the state if they choose to apply for them.

So why do nonresidents not have a chance in the hybrid draw? The random hybrid draw occurs after the regular draw and the nonresident quotas are already met in the regular draw for almost every hunt so there are no nonresident permits available for the hybrid draw. The only hunts that could be drawn under the current system by nonresidents are antelope hunts, which do not have a nonresident quota.
I totally forgot that they are for residents only....DA!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Well if it makes you feel any better I didn't even know that it existed....ha!

I read that article this morning online and copied and pasted it.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
It's even worse than the line from "Dumb and Dumber" after being told that he would only get the girl if he was the last man on earth. "Dumb" responded, "Then I have a chance?"