Snow Geese!

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
I saw this today as well! Thanks for posting Hilltop! I hope the Dakotas get some snow as well to hold these birds back. Hope it is not a repeat of last year where they just picked up and went all the way north! Maybe I will be seeing you sooner than I thought! Haha! Almost that time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
Hilltop, there were a couple thousand snows feeding 2 miles north of my house last Friday. Only saw them one day and then gone.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
A large flock made to my area yesterday evening but they are gone this morning. We have strong North winds so I assume they went back south...Hoping anyways.

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
We saw all kinds of geese push north this past weekend from our blind. Canada, Specks, Snows -everything was migrating up the Platte River.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
We hunted hard this weekend. Between two of us we shot 6 Canada's- 2 with bands. No snows or specs but saw plenty of them flying high headed North. It seemed odd but no snows stopped in my area at all. Forecast is very warm so guessing the peak for us will be in the next 1-2 weeks.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
Saw five or six flocks last weekend goose hunting my buddies place on the eastern edge of the state. One flock of whitey's were milling around and flew over my dark decoys, so I cut loose. Looking forward to the special season here in a few weeks...

SwanSlayer

Oct 6, 2016
Loveland, CO
We hunted hard this weekend. Between two of us we shot 6 Canada's- 2 with bands. No snows or specs but saw plenty of them flying high headed North. It seemed odd but no snows stopped in my area at all. Forecast is very warm so guessing the peak for us will be in the next 1-2 weeks.
It is shaping up to be another interesting migration this year. Sounds like they could be strung out over most of the central state and on into South Dakota. It's always an adventure this time of the year and have to available to change plans at the drop of a hat!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I was just looking at the ducks unlimited migration map/reports today (ducks.org). There are already large waves of snow geese in North Dakota?! The South Dakota outfitters are running hunts now with some saying it is peak migration. We could really use a big storm up North to push them back south. If not I guess time to start thinking turkey...

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
I was just looking at the ducks unlimited migration map/reports today (ducks.org). There are already large waves of snow geese in North Dakota?! The South Dakota outfitters are running hunts now with some saying it is peak migration. We could really use a big storm up North to push them back south. If not I guess time to start thinking turkey...
Hilltop,
What are seeing in your area? We are headed out next weekend! We were going to hunt Kansas! Getting mixed reports. I still feel like there are plenty of juvies to come through! Thanks in advance!

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
I haven't seen a single flock, and it is far too early for peak migration. Middle of February. It is still gonna get really cold and freeze up everything. Storm or not, if they don't have water they leave.

Normally don't see my first flocks until early March, and even then it is a jump back and forth situation.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Hilltop,
What are seeing in your area? We are headed out next weekend! We were going to hunt Kansas! Getting mixed reports. I still feel like there are plenty of juvies to come through! Thanks in advance!

I have seen a lot migrating high but haven't had the big flocks on the ground. It's been a weird year. If you read the southern reports (north Texas, Arkansas, Missouri etc) they guys are saying the birds are gone. The refuge by mound city was reported to be mostly full a few days ago but I don't end up seeing too many of those birds here. Here is the latest migration map-

www.ducks.org/migrationmap

Lets you read reports around the country. I think you will still have some birds to hunt but with the next 7 days forecast in the 60s and 70s they will keep pushing North. I plan to get out this weekend and put miles on until I find some. May have to break out the cow decoy instead of the bag of decoys! Good luck!

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Yesterday was in the 60's with a south wind here. This morning is almost dead calm and well above freezing. I don't doubt there will be a decent push into the state.

For a long time I have proposed that the only thing that will truly impact the snow goose population is a weather event that traps them far to the north when a major southern blizzard hits. Who knows, this could be the year.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Yesterday was in the 60's with a south wind here. This morning is almost dead calm and well above freezing. I don't doubt there will be a decent push into the state.

For a long time I have proposed that the only thing that will truly impact the snow goose population is a weather event that traps them far to the north when a major southern blizzard hits. Who knows, this could be the year.
About 15 years ago we had a spring like this when they moved North early. Then we got a big snow storm in March and the birds pushed back south into southern Nebraska/Northern Kansas. It was the best hunting I have ever seen for them. Between me and one other guy we put up around 500 birds in two weekends. Fingers crossed for another year like that!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
We had decent numbers in our area over the weekend. I got my little guy out with his newly adjusted stock on his 20 gauge. He is finally graduating from the 28 gauge. Good times... Not sure who is happier- My son or the dog?

We also found a stray duck decoy.

Saving the tundra one truck load at a time!