What has everyone saw for birds this year

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
Just curious to see what everyone's bird numbers looked like for this year? Seemed like one weekend they were here and the next gone. Highest of high and lowest of low season I've ever seen. But with that still beats sitting inside all day. What are your thoughts on this waterfowl season?

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
ScottR where are you located at? And triple bb have you seen sort of mallard migration yet? We had birds here a few weeks ago in nd but never really saw the normal 'tornado' of mallards. Only seen a few flicks of a couple hundred. Definitely came in waves

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
We don't get your numbers of birds. But we went from no ducks on the river to lots of ducks on the river in two days. The first afternoon/evening of our big freeze it was nonstop geese going south. Heard parts of Colorado loaded up. I've always heard the ducks migrate through at night around here which might be why I've never seen ducks going south...

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
Its been bad in eastern Nebraska. Only really had two flights and they skipped us for NE Missouri for the most part. There is still 250k birds up around Chamberlain, SD according to reports. We will see I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
arwaterfowler, you ever get on the platte or the mo? I know the Missouri is holding a few birds in nd. Not massive numbers but I figured with the sub zero temps and the snow they would be gone by now

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
It's been by far the worst season I've ever had here in Missouri. We did just pick up a ton of birds in the last few days, but they're going to be tricky to hunt, with all our shallow water having 4 inches of ice, and the ice flow on the Mo river makes me not want to put my boat on it.

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
arwaterfowler, you ever get on the platte or the mo? I know the Missouri is holding a few birds in nd. Not massive numbers but I figured with the sub zero temps and the snow they would be gone by now
My blind is right on the Platte just west of Omaha. I figure ducks are over for us. Goose hunting now.

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
This year I bought a water pump as a poor mans ice eater and 100 ft of hose for small frozen potholes. Never got to try it but should work to keep and open water up. Hopefully next year I'll test it out. Arwaterfowler post pics of the goose slaying I'm already going through withdrawls at least I can live through someone else's hunting adventures until next year.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
This year I bought a water pump as a poor mans ice eater and 100 ft of hose for small frozen potholes. Never got to try it but should work to keep and open water up. Hopefully next year I'll test it out. Arwaterfowler post pics of the goose slaying I'm already going through withdrawls at least I can live through someone else's hunting adventures until next year.
I'm curious to know how that ends up working for you. I thought about going that route for quite a while, before I ended up buying a 1/2hp ice eater and a 2,000 watt generator. It keeps a decent hole open, and with a little work, I can open up a pretty big hole. Had it running all night last night, but the roads were so bad this morning, I didnt go!

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
I hope it works. Guy ties in a 5 gallon gas tank and it should run for at least 12 hours. The concept behind it should work just like a ice eater as the main object is the circulate the water. Plus a guy doesn't have all that money tied up in gene and eater. Probably only use it once or twice a year if a guy is lucky

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
My fear was that it wouldn't push enough water to make a big enough hole. If I point my ice eater straight up, it will only keep open about a 20 yard wide circle. When I angle it, it shoots a pretty wide swath for about 30-40 yards. As far as money tied up.... Yeah, I only use the ice eater a few times a year, but the generator comes in handy for quite a few other things.

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
I'll let you know how it works. I have my fingers crossed. just out of curiousity what kind of ice eater do you run?

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
Not sure about Fink but I run a Mallard View Ice Eater. This weekend with -10 temps we were able to keep a decent hole open if we run the pump to pull in warm water and use the eater to push the warm water.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I'll let you know how it works. I have my fingers crossed. just out of curiousity what kind of ice eater do you run?
I run a Higdon 1/2 hp. I wanted something small enough to run off a 2,000 watt inverter generator. My set up will run somewhere around 10-11 hours straight, before it runs out of gas.

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
I run a Higdon 1/2 hp. I wanted something small enough to run off a 2,000 watt inverter generator. My set up will run somewhere around 10-11 hours straight, before it runs out of gas.
Fink,

I can't run my eater vertical in any less than 30" of water. How shallow can you run the Higdon vertically?

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
It kinda depends on how hard the bottom is. If its a real soft bottom, it'll run in less than 18 inches. Hard bottom is closer to 2 feet. I've used it in very shallow applications, less than 12 inches, if I set the frame on it's side, and point the unit up from there.

I never got the opportunity this year, but I was really looking forward to running it on a calm day with no wind, just to get a ton of movement in the decoys. I've got 200 feet of cord, and as quiet as the generator is, it wouldnt bother birds at all.

I'll try to get a few pictures in the morning.

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
You guys keep the water open for me. I'll grab my gun and shells
that looks like way too much fun.