On the right track?

50bowhunter

Jan 6, 2016
I'm planning next years trip for antelope and was wondering if I'm on the right track for deciding on a unit. I was supposed to be hunting a ranch this year but a knee surgery in May forced me to withdraw applications and postpone until 2017. I had planned a trespass hunt last year but after doing some research I figured with some planning I could save that $1000 for private ground.

I will be buying a preference point this year and would be willing to get the special tag if it gets me in a decent unit. I know the "good" units take many more points. I've printed the draw odds from the game and fish page and highlighted all the units that can be drawn with 1 or 0 points. I then went back and circled the units that were 100% with 1 point, but mid-low odds with 0 points. In my mind, people are applying for these units because they are easier to draw, but offer slightly more public land than those that are 100% with no points, while they are building points for the good units.

Am I on the right track with this thought process? Or does anyone have any specific suggestions for units that I could draw? Sorry for the long winded post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I don't have the intel you are wanting, but I don't think I'd spend $1k on a 'lope hunt unless it was in the top trophy unit in the state.
To many "free' ones running around. :)

hoshour

Veteran member
There are very good units you can draw with 2 or 3 points in the special draw. That would require waiting another year. Don't forget to check if units have walk in areas or hunter management areas you can hunt.

Call Eastmans to get the issue with the WY antelope research section, or better yet, get a digital subscription because the digital research section has all the WY antelope areas, not just the top hunts. You'll find almost all the info you need there. Then contact OnXmaps for good maps with land ownership names.

50bowhunter

Jan 6, 2016
Any other suggestions? The more research I do, the more I think I'm better off paying a trespass fee.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. Pick a unit with good access (info can be found in eastmans mrs) and hunt. With the points you have, you aren't going to get a trophy unit anyway. I recommend going later in the season, there is a big drop off of hunters after the first week. Armed with the onXmap map chip you will have a good hunt.

Hard to believe some of the prices I'm hearing about trespass fees. $1500 for a week long praire dog hunt seems outrageous but that is the price some folks are willing to pay. The ranch should be paying the hunters to shoot the dogs! Another reason to keep public ground in the public's hands.

50bowhunter

Jan 6, 2016
Are you looking for simply a nice respectable buck? Or you looking for a Kong?
Just something that looks like an antelope buck. When I bring it back to Virginia, no one here will know the difference between a 60" and an 80" buck.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Just something that looks like an antelope buck. When I bring it back to Virginia, no one here will know the difference between a 60" and an 80" buck.

You can shoot a good buck in every unit you can draw with 1 point, just look at the WIA, and HMA land, plus the surrounding public land, and that's how I would come up with a choice.

Manualman

Aug 10, 2011
North Jersey
I've never had a problem finding antelope in different areas. If your willing to get out of your truck and look around you'll find antelope

50bowhunter

Jan 6, 2016
I've never had a problem finding antelope in different areas. If your willing to get out of your truck and look around you'll find antelope
Walking is the only way I would want to hunt. I'm not driving 2000 miles to hunt from the truck.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
A private ranch is not going to guarantee a trophy buck. Sometimes those ranches are hunted harder than the public ground. Look into the areas with good numbers and access. The desert areas have great bucks, with a decent snow pack this year the bucks will be good all over the state. Ask how many hunters they will have before you book.