Weight Loss Article

FitToHunt

http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/a-calorie-is-sometimes-not-a-calorie

Been reading through some of the Getting in Shape for the Hunt posts, and I see a lot of members are on diets or trying to loose some weight for hunting season. Having been a trainer and competitor for almost 10yrs, I've seen how so many people fall into the "Calorie Trap". Basically starving themselves, doing tons of just cardio, seeing great results at first, then hitting a wall and gaining all, or even more of it back.

Hopefully, this article can explain some of the pitfalls of this approach better than I can.

Cheers

grant_stricklin

Sep 11, 2015
Good article.
My favorite saying is body has to have something to work with. Can't work without tools.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jdavis9753

Feb 13, 2016
North Texas
I gathered that weight training is better than cardio for fat loss/calorie burning?
Resistance training not 'weight' necessarily.
Hmmm good reading, I have a different outlook.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
muscle has to burn more calories to sustain. nice post. I enjoy eating food way to much to go on a crazy diet.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Good article.

I'm starting a high protein, low carb diet again. Hardest part is cutting out the beer...
Toad; You can do the protein diet and still allow a light beer with lunch or at the end of the day. A Miller Lite is only 3.2 carbs, Mic Ultra is close to that. I know, it's like drinking skim milk, but it will still be like a reward for a tough day if the alternative is nothing.

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
Toad; You can do the protein diet and still allow a light beer with lunch or at the end of the day. A Miller Lite is only 3.2 carbs, Mic Ultra is close to that. I know, it's like drinking skim milk, but it will still be like a reward for a tough day if the alternative is nothing.
Your right of course, problem is I love me some heavy beer ;)

Busch Lite can often do the trick for me, it's a bit malty for a light beer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
If I was on a diet and I was going to reward myself with a beer, I would rather have 1 or 2 of my favorite beers than a a whole weeks worth of crappy @$$ diet beer.

FitToHunt

Everything in moderation of course. But keep in mind when considering alcohol, its not just the calories it contains. Alcohol does raise estrogen and lower testosterone in males, which can have a much larger effect on fat loss and muscle gain, then just consuming a few extra carbs.

genesis27:3

Mar 12, 2015
North Carolina
Thank you for sharing this! It all makes sense. I've been "cutting calories" and going harder, and have lost 10 lbs in a few months, but I can tell that my metabolism is down. Practicing what this article is preaching is going to help tremendously!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Everything in moderation of course. But keep in mind when considering alcohol, its not just the calories it contains. Alcohol does raise estrogen and lower testosterone in males, which can have a much larger effect on fat loss and muscle gain, then just consuming a few extra carbs.
What a spoiler; so you are saying that beer drinkers are "Girlie-men"?