MT FWP Ridiculous Proposal!!!

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
So there was a public meeting a couple nights ago, which was poorly announced, and the local FWP biologist laid out the elk management plan for HD 411. They are currently proposing that there would no longer be a archery only season in 411, and rifle hunting would take place from 8/15 to 2/15! And during this time if people wanted to archery hunt for a bull, as you would only be allowed to take a cow with a rifle unless you drew a trophy tag, you could archery hunt while people are rifle hunting. This seems absolutely CRAZY to me! A good friend of mine asked one of the people from the MT FWP if they would be out archery hunting if the season was set up like this and they said hell no!

Additionally, they stated that even if they killed off every single elk on public land within HD 411, the elk population would still be over objective due to ranches, mainly the NBAR, having such a large resident herd on their ranches that are safe from hunters every year. So I absolutely can not wrap my mind around what they are proposing, and how this makes any sense to manage the elk in HD 411. They even went as far as saying that they have talked about getting a federal trapper involved and simply shooting the elk from a helicopter to reduce the population! I am so beyond flabbergasted that I can not even think strait right now, so I am going to shut up. If anyone here has ever hunted central MT, or ever wants to, please take time to comment on the MT FWP website's public comment section.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
Folks need to really let our voices be heard. If you don't speak up then you don't have the right to complain later on. It only takes a few minutes to give some constructive suggestions and ideas. I hope everyone goes to their site and voices their opinions.

I for one would like to see them make moose, sheep, and goat a once in a lifetime tag so more folks might have an opportunity to hunt one someday. It took me 33 years to draw a goat tag. Populations tanked in my area and I only saw one goat from June to the end of November. I never got a goat but had an amazing 6 months of scouting and hunting, most of it by myself. I had my opportunity and now would like to see my son, my friend, or one of you guys have a chance. This would not apply to cow moose and ewe sheep. If one of those was drawn, you could apply again the next year for a ram or a bull moose. I have applied now for 37 years in a row for moose and sheep without being drawn!

I would not mind seeing it made so that if populations tanked like they did for me, or a hunter just didn't see the animal they wanted so they never shot one, that after waiting the 7 years, that person could apply again. That might keep folks from shooting one with all the pressure to get their animal because they will never get a tag again. I just see and hear every year about folks who are on their second ram tag, or second moose permit. I can name numerous folks. One guy I know drew a Rock Creek ram tag several years ago and shot a ram that was about 16 inches on the base and had 43" horns on both sides. A true ram of a lifetime. He waited the 7 years and applied for another tag. He drew another ram permit the very first year he was eligible to do so. That is just wrong. There are only so many of these tags available and we need to spread the wealth. NO it WILL NOT dramatically increase a persons odds, but it's at least a step in that direction.

I think it's really past time that we also allow very limited hunting of grizzly bears!

Anyway I hope folks go on these sites and make comments.

ceby7

Feb 21, 2011
Laurel, MT
Like I mentioned in another thread, I am not in favor of these shoulder seasons as they are currently being drawn up. I've already sent FWP my thoughts and will go to the Billings public meeting in a few weeks. For whatever reason FWP is proposing some major changes to our hunting seasons this year. Makes me wonder what the motive for such drastic changes truly is??

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
JJ, I just don't understand why she is thinking like that! I don't understand why they are taking 426 from 40 either sex to a general hd also. I've had two or three phone calls with the biologist to report what I've seen in our area! 411 is probably the best hd in Montana for elk and they're going to ruin it!

Futboler

Feb 24, 2011
Great Falls, MT
I stopped hunting 411 3 years ago because down right tough to find an elk on public land after the 1st week archery. So JJ, they are thinking of allowing an rifle antlerless hunt for 2-3 weeks before archery even opens up? It's not even funny how scarce elk are on public land in 411. It would appear that they don't want any elk on public between Aug. and Feb. I'll be sure to write in.

SPAZ

Apr 16, 2014
The powers that be in Montana are declaring all out assault on elk. 7 months of hunting next year, gunning cow elk with 6 week old calves before and during archery season, lots of elk b-tags, not to mention wolves that are displacing many of the public land elk in the winter to private land where they are shit-hammered on damage hunts as well. At this rate, in under a decade, we will be lucky to have any elk left in MT that don't reside on a giant private ranch. Say goodbye to those elk as they are twirling down the porcelain bowl as we type here..

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
Well it sounds like it is pretty much a done deal here in MT. I guess we will see tomorrow, 2/16, when the final regulations are posted. Elk hunting will officially be open for 6 months out of the year, what a sad state of affairs the FWP has created. There is just something not right about hunting elk into February when they are trying to stay alive from the weather alone, and now they will have every Tom Dick and Harry out there chasing them around too. Mark my words, this new "shoulder season" will not reduce the number of elk in an effective or efficient manner, and I predict that the "problem elk" which are the ones on private land eating hay stacks will only become worse now that public land is also huntable. I just don't understand why they would allow public lands to be hunted, which will in turn push the elk back onto private lands causing a bigger problem, because many land owners will not want people on their property. I can already see the Craigslist Ad, "Cow elk hunting on private land, off a hay stack, only $500 per hunter!" This will privatize elk hunting even further in our state when the elk remain on private land because the public lands are crawling with hunters 6 months out of the year!

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I believe rifle in August up until archery. If I'm correct it is on private, state Not USFS or National forests. Check with your FWP region office.