Knee

B&C Blacktails

Mar 1, 2015
I'm not sure this is the right place to put this but I figured someone here may have this issue as well.

My miniscuss a small tendon or piece of cartilage on the side of your knee that helps stabilize and cushion your knee has a small tear (based on me self diagnosing myself as well as talking to a buddy who had the issue before). I'd say it happens a few times a year where it irritates me.

Based on me self diagnosing myself surgery isn't an option but physical therapy is recommended.

Have any of you guys experienced this issue? Any recommendations or tips?

Thanks for the feedback.

Awise1

Mar 17, 2011
N. Calif
I experienced severe left knee pain in the summer of 2013 but didn’t seek any medical help at the time. I deer and elk hunted that fall but the pain was excruciating at times. After hunting seasons completed that fall, I went to my family physician in Dec. He tried the typical Naproxen 500mg and Ibuprofen 800mg fix and the pain was worse by Jan 2014. Got an MRI and orthopedic surgeon consult, which revealed an old meniscus tear. He saw no reason to go in with arthroscopic surgery because he saw nothing to clean up. The joint is also arthritic. He gave me a shot of cortisone in the knee and by the time I hit the parking lot, there was no pain at all. The Dr. told me at the time if the cortisone didn’t help, he would go through the consecutive 4 weekly injections of the synthetic fluid your joint is supposed to have in it. Currently, the knee is as good as a 65yr old can expect but I do wear elastic knee braces when hunting. Seems to make my knees feel more secure and stronger. If I was you, I wouldn’t mess around with a self-diagnosis; your problem may even require surgery which could possibly be completed arthroscopically. Good luck!!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I've had a bad knee since I hurt it playing football in college. Had a total knee replacement in 2002 an d it has been great since then. I went thru all the cortisone & "rooster comb" injections to no avail, as they are all temporary bandaids. My other knee has some cartilage problems too. I am 74 years old, so this is expected as my ortho surgeon said. I had the knee scoped about 4 years ago and it is pretty good now.

When knees got worn out, there isn't a lot to help out except the temporary fixes, which everything Awise1 mentioned. A total knee replacement can work and last many, many years. Mine is now 14 years old and shows no wear according to the Doc.

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
Are you the one recommending physical therapy? Your friend? I would be leery of a self diagnosis from anyone who's not making a living doing so. Coming from someone with a degree in sports medicine and who has spent the past 20 years In the field, I have always gone with the saying, when in doubt, Get it checked out! Depending on your age, the severity of the injury, etc. I think you're chancing way too much. If indeed you do need to have the meniscus scoped, you'll be on your feet walking right away. Depending on the severity of course, the rehab and recovery is minimal. My advice, get it looked at soon and if anything needs to be done, do it now in the off-season.

boiler

Dec 26, 2015
Indiana
Lots of knee surgeries here! My advice, get it checked out. If you do get surgery, do the rehab! For the unavoidable pain that remains, stretch often, and start ibuprofen before you leave home, don't wait for the pain to start. Don't avoid getting it scoped if it needs it, piece of cake surgery, and helps a lot!

tundrakid

Jan 21, 2015
Conifer, Colorado
I agree with boiler! I had both knees scoped about 5 weeks ago. Right knee had a small miniscuss tear. If it's small enough they just snip it off and clean up everything else while there in there. I'm felling great and there was never a whole lot of pain.
Make sure you get an MRI and a couple opinions.
It's pretty routine and I'm already hiking around after 5 weeks.
Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Get an MRI done and get it fixed and rehabbed now. As long as its not really bad like a bucket handle tear and all they have to do is trim a little off you will be up and rolling in time for hunting season. I've had surgery twice. The second one was just meniscus and the recovery was fast. Don't hesitate, get it done.

HeartElk1

Mar 30, 2011
Good advice from those suggesting involvement by a good doctor and getting MRIs, X-rays, etc. I was having some severe swelling and pain in my knees in the early fall, and the doctor checked me out, found the problems, and thankfully was willing to give me cortisone shots to get me through the hunting season. Now that we're on the off-season, I had my right knee scoped a few weeks ago to take care of a meniscus tear, some clean-up of flaps, and scraping out "crystals" that had built up. Surgery was a piece of cake and you are up and going in a few days. One word of caution, do not talk your wife into getting you a Big Mac on the way home from the hospital after surgery and still coming off the anesthesia -- hey, I was starving but that did not work out. I'm in physical therapy for that knee now and I get my left knee scoped in early Feb. It may be a bit more involved for some additional damage to both the lateral and medial meniscus and other stuff that has been neglected over the years, but it should be pretty much the same process....minus the Big Mac. Then I'll rehab it and get on track to train and get ready for hunting again this fall. Good luck with your knee!

NHK9

Jul 8, 2015
Gilmanton I.W., NH
I hate that I'm even discussing this. However age can be a bit@#. I have been very active for my 43 years. I've never had anything wrong with the tree trunks, but my elbows for some reason have started to bother me. On a recent visit to the Chiro I asked her what if anything I could take to help with the stiffness in the am. She advised she takes Turmeric. You can google it and read al about it so I won't bother you with those details. I'm the typical skeptic on taking any supplements but if you are going to continue to abuse your body why not. I've been on it for 3 weeks now and the joints feel much much much better. Not sure if it will help the knees but it might be worth a shot for us old guys.

geargrinder

Feb 24, 2015
Dayton, NV
I experienced severe left knee pain in the summer of 2013 but didn’t seek any medical help at the time. I deer and elk hunted that fall but the pain was excruciating at times. After hunting seasons completed that fall, I went to my family physician in Dec. He tried the typical Naproxen 500mg and Ibuprofen 800mg fix and the pain was worse by Jan 2014. Got an MRI and orthopedic surgeon consult, which revealed an old meniscus tear. He saw no reason to go in with arthroscopic surgery because he saw nothing to clean up. The joint is also arthritic. He gave me a shot of cortisone in the knee and by the time I hit the parking lot, there was no pain at all. The Dr. told me at the time if the cortisone didn’t help, he would go through the consecutive 4 weekly injections of the synthetic fluid your joint is supposed to have in it. Currently, the knee is as good as a 65yr old can expect but I do wear elastic knee braces when hunting. Seems to make my knees feel more secure and stronger. If I was you, I wouldn’t mess around with a self-diagnosis; your problem may even require surgery which could possibly be completed arthroscopically. Good luck!!
This is my exact situation as well. Go see an ortho. Find out the problem for sure.

B&C Blacktails

Mar 1, 2015
Right on. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm 31. My girlfriends uncle is an ortho, he's a nice guy and probably more than willing to have a look. I guess I should give up the denial and my pride and take your advice. Hunting season is a ways off, it really is the best time to have it looked at.

Jrod

Jan 30, 2012
Livermore, CA
I let my pain go for awhile. I told my symptoms to a fellow carpenter and he said prolly a meniscus tear. I was able to work so I just dealt with the pain and occasionally it would lock up. I learned how to unlock it, and continued to work until one day it locked up and wouldn't unlock. Got an appointment and Dr. said buckethandle tear. Had surgery four days later and was on crutches for six weeks and out on disability for 5 months.
Now my other knee is popping and becoming painful.
Small tears are easy, mine wasn't. CHeck it out now.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Right on. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm 31. My girlfriends uncle is an ortho, he's a nice guy and probably more than willing to have a look. I guess I should give up the denial and my pride and take your advice. Hunting season is a ways off, it really is the best time to have it looked at.
Good idea. If no medical intervention is needed, great.