Alberta hunt "travel"

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
2 open or empty pages in your pas port is what he is talking about. :)

When crossing borders some countries require you have at least 2 empty pages in your passport. I'm not sure what Canada's policy is but I just had extra pages added to my passport last year because I was down to 2 or 3 pages and was heading to Alberta for a deer hunt and did not want to find out Canada's policy the hard way.

Tim
You guys were really, really lucky and apparently had one of the nice border agents helping you out. I've seen so many guys turned around at airports and border crossings that I don't take anything for granted including myself getting in to Canada the next time I go up there. Before 9/11 it was so much better. Once I actually took a Delta flight but forgot my wallet at home, didn't have a passport or ID and was not given any paperwork from the company whom I was doing work for in Canada. I got a real ass chewing from the Canada customs agent but in the end he let me in.

Grant
50 years ago I was just a kid and went to Canada on fishing trips with my parents where I caught my first northern in Flin Flon, Saskatchewan. The memories are a little fuzzy.:eek:

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
WY ME, you are right. What I did was call both sides first, then talk to both when there, before crossing. I only needed to cross for a few hours, then right back while the same folks were there. I doubt it would have worked for a longer stay.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
One thing I found out crossing the border into Mexico so much, was that you could never figure what the US Customs was going to do to you. I've had them go thru my boat & rv and spend several hours doing it, the next time they just wave you thru. I am sure the crossing from Mexico have a lot more problems, but the individual agents went all the way from pretty good people to real A Holes.

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
Three other options on carrying a handgun or long gun. Option "A" Prearrange a gunshop in the town that you are in before crossing the border to store your handgun at that gunshop. Most likely charge a small fee. Make sure that they will return it to you as you return. Since you are an out of stater it may a problem. At least for part of your trip your armed. Option "B" you are absolutely allowed to bring into Canada a handgun that is not on their prohibited list (last time I looked at least 4 1/3 inch barrel/10 round mags or less) when traveling to Alaska!! I am not telling you to lie but if you feel strongly enough you could make all of the arrangements as you need to be preapproved for each province(Saskatchewan, Alberta , British Columbia? and Yukon) and maybe in Alberta you change your mind and have to return to the US earlier than anticipated. Option "C" carry a shotgun (hunting type) with slugs and obtain prior permission and camp near Banff and Canmore (Lots of Bear activity there). It can not be loaded and must be cased in the campgrounds and locked in a vehicle but you may possess it for protection from "Wildlife". Option "C" is what I did summer of 2011. I had a single shot 12 Gauge. Also as others have advised paperwork/permission filled out in advance for both directions. And No Tactical Looking Weapons allowed. Good luck and God bless

grant_stricklin

Sep 11, 2015
Great info guys appreciate it all for sure!! I've never fly fished before but love to try it somewhere in Alberta on my way back. Be nice to fill the cooler with fresh fish if could.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I knew a guy that said his buddy had a handgun he brought to Canada and the Canadians allowed him to bring it in after they put it in some type of an official sealed bag.

Sundowners@5?

Feb 19, 2014
Northern Wisconsin
Lot's of good info provided here. Only thing I can suggest after 40/50 trips across the border into Canada if traveling by vehicle with other passengers, is a clear understanding that if they have any dark clouds in their past and are denied entrance, you will provide travel back to the nearest airport or bus station. Not screwing up my trip!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I knew a guy that said his buddy had a handgun he brought to Canada and the Canadians allowed him to bring it in after they put it in some type of an official sealed bag.
I would question this. My son owns his own trucking business and goes into Canada occasionally. Once he forgot and had a handgun in a locked container with him. They absolutely would not let him bring it into the country. He went to a local truck stop close to the border (in the US) and rented a small, lockable storage locker and left the pistol there. Retrieved it after he returned to the US.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I would question this. My son owns his own trucking business and goes into Canada occasionally. Once he forgot and had a handgun in a locked container with him. They absolutely would not let him bring it into the country. He went to a local truck stop close to the border (in the US) and rented a small, lockable storage locker and left the pistol there. Retrieved it after he returned to the US.
This was some time ago before 9/11 so it was probably more lax then. Also the guys were already in the country as the guy I knew was a pilot and was flying the other guy into the country. They were inspected at a Canadian airport which is where the customs learned about the gun.

grant_stricklin

Sep 11, 2015
Lot's of good info provided here. Only thing I can suggest after 40/50 trips across the border into Canada if traveling by vehicle with other passengers, is a clear understanding that if they have any dark clouds in their past and are denied entrance, you will provide travel back to the nearest airport or bus station. Not screwing up my trip!
I thought about that when I asked one buddy to go already lol. Very good point you make there!
I'm going by myself this time though.

grant_stricklin

Sep 11, 2015
Good news today my buddy is booking hunt with me!! We gonna drive up together! Anybody got any ideas on something else we could throw in the hunt between iowa and Alberta? Thought about fishing somewhere or an antelope on the way back. A bear in Alberta would be cool but not this time for budget.

grant_stricklin

Sep 11, 2015
Seen last night in another thread there's salmon fishing in Idaho. I'm kinda clueless to the fishing in the west and species.
I would love to find out about a place between TN and grand prairie Alberta Canada to catch salmon. Even trout would be OK but rather salmon if its very good fishing.
Is there anywhere in Alberta, Montana, idaho, wyoming, or Dakotas that you can catch a lot of salmon or trout to feel a cooler in couple days??
Dates be around Aug 20-sept3

Last edited:

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
There is excellent retention salmon and steelhead fishing in the great lakes and rivers emptying into them in a number of areas. There are trout fisheries closer to TN than that, White River in AR is one I believe.

grant_stricklin

Sep 11, 2015
Big tine adventures is worst outfitter I've ever hunted with! Definitely not bow hunters! If you wanna ride in truck and shoot muley with gun that's there style. Still didn't see bucks so you couldn't do that! Has less than 20% farm ground and only seen two possible shooters out of four hunters riding in truck 6 days. I only saw one of the so called shooters 150s buck and missed him. Lack of professionalism all the way around! I have totally diffrent Opinion on Canada from my experience as the owner made fun of every American hunting show and our way of hunting. Guess road hunting is the ticket up there.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
There may be some truth to that Grant. Here's one that may just be one of those "rumors" that somebody heard from somebody's brother's sister's cousin's, mother-in-law who knew somebody, BUT my source was in reference to the world record Hanson whitetail shot in Sask. a few years ago. Two from my deer camp goose/duck hunt yearly with a neighbor of Hanson's, and was told by the outfitter that buck was chased down in a pickup truck. A lot of money was made on that buck...hope I don't get sued.

grant_stricklin

Sep 11, 2015
Well I know for a fact that's way this outfitter hunts. I know most everybody I've talked to says that's way most hunt in Canada.
Wouldn't surprise me on Hanson buck either. These guys are over run with American clients paying 6-15k for muley or whitetail combos. There's no info on most the outfitters up there like this one. No website just Facebook and TV shows showing the good sides. Hope word gets out and nobody gets burnt like we did. After talking to several outfitters and other guides they say same about this place. He puts his repeat clients on beat bear baits and guides them himself for big tips. Sticks the guides on worst baits with new hunters. He's all about the money man. That's all he talked about run them thru and get a new group. Bragging how he only worked 6 weeks deer season then month or whatever of bear. You figure that up 40 hunts a year ranging 6-13k average 8k no land leases all permission based hunting in Canada. Mind you there tags are 10-30k each but an investment to sale when retires so pure profit except guides and bait no over head hardly. Maybe 10% over head cost clearing 250k profit easy I have no sympathy for him or any outfitter who half ass there job promising the world. Jim burnswurth should be ashamed to build him up on outdoor channel.

grant_stricklin

Sep 11, 2015
Which he's so greedy he cancelled burnswurth hunt so he could make that extra money. Actually had to work for it when he's in camp I'm sure.

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
You never know how the border crossing will go. A couple of hints. Don't try to sneak anything in. Read and follow your rulebook. Make sure you trust your buddy. They will ask about any crimes you have been arrested for including drunk driving. Bring some cash.... not to bribe with but to show them you aren't going up and become destitute. You will be better off buying booze and smokes up there it will cost more but you don't want to be suspected of smuggling. And don't be a wise ass.

That being said you will do fine here in the east we run into lots of folks who speak French but there aren't many out west. Every one in the world needs food sleep and toilet. Its easy to find those. Remember they use the metric system so watch your speed. 30 mph is 50 kmh. DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE. Be cool follow the laws and you will be fine. Have a good hunt

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
My Dad went up to Alberta in 2012 on a early season whitetail/muley combo archery hunt. The outfitter was Lee Mcnary at Alberta River Valley Lodge. The guy's been on tv a lot, and supposedly has a good reputation. Not an animal killed among 7 hunters for the week. My Dad is the only hunter to have an opportunity at a good muley, and no whitetail over 120" were seen. I know the outfitter can't make the animals cooperate, but 7 hunters at 5-7 grand apiece ought to be able to kill a couple trophies. The point is I think most of the Canadian outfitters are going for a cash grab. Then they put celebrity hunters in the good spots.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Make sure your passport is signed and dont take a passport picture looking like Jesus then roll up with a different haircut and Oakleys on....

Pull into #2 for a random inspection sir....

Ya..been there done that. Oh the friends a man chooses....