DID Backcountry Food!

highcountryhoy

Jan 16, 2016
Southern, Utah
DIY Backcountry Food!

I'm all about the DIY stuff when it comes to my hunting (explains the back country thing) and I'm always down to save a buck. I came across this link and it seems like these meals would be a great alternative to the usual freeze dried dinners. My kids always like to get involved too, so that they feel like they're part of the hunt (they're 5 and almost 3) and it'd be easy enough to let them help throw these together. http://pin.it/jxM-77y

Last edited:

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Nice find... thank you. My secret score is Top Ramen and Tuna. Sounds gross I know but it's actually crazy good (at least in the backcountry) cheap $1.50 and lightweight. Walmart has 6 oz bags of tuna for 94 cents and obviously loaded with protein, multiple flavors.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Nice find... thank you. My secret score is Top Ramen and Tuna. Sounds gross I know but it's actually crazy good (at least in the backcountry) cheap $1.50 and lightweight. Walmart has 6 oz bags of tuna for 94 cents and obviously loaded with protein, multiple flavors.
My favorite is the dolphin flavored tuna.

highcountryhoy

Jan 16, 2016
Southern, Utah
Haha i love that lemon pepper tuna, but it gets old fast after about day 4 on the mountain! I've found alot of helpful backpacking stuff on pinterest (I know, laugh it up) it's been an excellent resource

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I bring salsa packets along and add it to the tuna. Be careful though, lots of salt in dehydrated food and tuna. Can drain you of water quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
I haven't used any commercial backpacking food except some bulk freeze dried products that I use as ingredients in my meals. If I use ramen(which does have a lot of salt), I add dehydrated onions, carrots, mushrooms, celery ect. I also like to add some freeze dried meat too. Sometimes I add soy sauce and tabasco. Another favorite is chicken and dumplings. Put all your dehydrated veggies and meat in a ziplock with some chicken bouillon. have some bisquik in another. At camp add the first bag to some water. Mix the bisquik with water until you have the right consistency. Spoon the dough on top of the water and cover and simmer. The dumplings will puff up and the water will turn to gravy. Don't over cook it or it will be a thick mess. Only takes about 8-10 minutes of simmering on low heat once it starts to boil.

Do a search on steam baking and you can make biscuits and add some McCormicks gravy mix and you have biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

Another product I found great was Ova Easy Skillet. Scrambled eggs with sausage, onions and peppers.

NHK9

Jul 8, 2015
Gilmanton I.W., NH
I went with the Mountain House meals this year! After 3 days I had to drive out grab a beer, chocolate milk, and an apple to set this system right again. No more Mtn House for me!!!

Collins

Feb 8, 2016
Green Bay, WI
I always have Mountain House for after dark, but I have a hard time deciding what to take to get me through the day. Generally it's been Clif bars, tuna packets, Clif Shot Blocker energy chews, and other misc. items that I'm real sick of by day 4. I've heard that bacon and peanut butter sandwiches are good to try. They might actually fill you up as well. I ate Clif bars every day on my last elk hunt in September and I still can't look at them.

Apr 17, 2015
Colorado

Tuna/ramen soup has become one of my go-to midday meals. I found a different brand of ramen that come in a black package which are far better than the typical maruchan. I also tell people that it sounds gross but is really quite nice to have a hot (bag) of soup. Unfortunately, my local grocer quit carrying the tuna packed in olive oil which adds about 100 delicious calories.

Another one I started making is sort of a shepherds pie. I buy the Idahoan 'steakhouse' potatoes, a small chub of beef summer sausage, and powdered milk. Half a package of potatoes and an appropriate amount of milk powder get mixed in a quart freezer bag. When it's time to eat I cut/quarter half the chub into the bag and add boiling water to rehydrate. Plan on eating two consecutive nights to use up the sausage quickly after opening.

Lunch has been the bagel sandwiches with peanut butter, bacon, and honey.

For breakfast, I mix a scoop of protein powder, dehydrated milk, 2 packs of instant oatmeal, and maybe some raisins.

I'm planning to try my hand at pemmican this summer.