Newb Help: Points, Zone in Wyoming- Getting Started help!

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
New subscriber here and my first forum post here.

I am wanting to do a Western Elk hunt. I am a non-resident from Iowa and am only experienced in Whitetail hunting in the Midwest (Bow, Rifle, Muzzy). I've chosen Wyoming for my Elk hunt to narrow it down and due to ease of access for me.

I need to build points and chose an area/zone. Really confusing! I have been to the Wyoming Game and Fish website and the basic info and registration is there of course but that doesn't give me tips on where to apply. Would really appreciate your suggestions and tips.

Thanks in advance- Toad

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
New subscriber here and my first forum post here.

I am wanting to do a Western Elk hunt. I am a non-resident from Iowa and am only experienced in Whitetail hunting in the Midwest (Bow, Rifle, Muzzy). I've chosen Wyoming for my Elk hunt to narrow it down and due to ease of access for me.

I need to build points and chose an area/zone. Really confusing! I have been to the Wyoming Game and Fish website and the basic info and registration is there of course but that doesn't give me tips on where to apply. Would really appreciate your suggestions and tips.

Thanks in advance- Toad

You just have to buy a elk preference point between July 1 and November 2nd, you don't have to know where you want to hunt yet till you put in for the tag.

I'd suggest going over to the new members section and inducing yourself.

Welcome to the forum!

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
Thanks for the tip. I posted in the New Members section as suggested now.

I also got in the Wyoming system (customer #) so I'm ready to register for points come July.

crzy_cntryby

Dec 9, 2014
You can cut WY in half by knowing what type of hunting you would prefer. Mountains, plains (can be tough in spots for elk). Knowing your fitness level and goals should help you zero in on where to look.

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
You can cut WY in half by knowing what type of hunting you would prefer. Mountains, plains (can be tough in spots for elk). Knowing your fitness level and goals should help you zero in on where to look.
Thanks, very helpfull. I'm thinking plains for my first hunt or two than maybe upgrading to mountains which sound more difficult due to elevation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

crzy_cntryby

Dec 9, 2014
Mountains are tough. Plains aren't easy either. Just not as physical. It will take a lot of research to find plains areas worth putting in for I'm guessing.