Public Lands in Public Hands Live Chat!

Hitch

May 3, 2015
PeoplesRepublikofOregon
One question concerning the Feds lessened involvement with the states, what are the states going to do if 30-50% of their annual budgets get taken away bc it comes from the Fed? The amt of money most folks will donate to the state in the form of state income tax to make that up would have bought some mighty nice vouchers somewhere.
Well Pack we could take all the money ,every cent, the Feds got from some source other than the states to begin with and buy a piece of penny candy.

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
It just occurred to me that there are a lot of different groups with an interest in public lands. And from the anti-hunting groups to the houndsmen associations they are butting heads over what should be allowed and what should not be allowed on these lands. All the while our government is undermining everyone with plans to sell these very lands. What kind of numbers could we come up with if we could figure out a way to all join forces. Could the environmentalist and the loggers work together? I know this is kind of out there but my guess if it could be pulled off we just might turn some heads. There are environmental groups and some kind of special interest association for about anything you could think of. Combine these with the hunting, fishing and anything outdoors groups and just simply say no. This country is on a path to become the very thing the first settlers came here to get away from. No public lands and the only ones hunting are the extremely rich. The King will own the game. We already have taxation without representation or anyway that's the way it seems. It doesn't seem like the issues important to me are being addressed in a manner that represents me, my family or any of my friends. I think it can be fixed but we may have to fire everyone from the President to the Dog Catcher to get it done. OUR public lands! I think we need to fight to retain every acre, they are not the governments to sell. I guess enough said for now......good night everyone.

micropterus79

Jun 19, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
It just occurred to me that there are a lot of different groups with an interest in public lands. And from the anti-hunting groups to the houndsmen associations they are butting heads over what should be allowed and what should not be allowed on these lands. All the while our government is undermining everyone with plans to sell these very lands. What kind of numbers could we come up with if we could figure out a way to all join forces. Could the environmentalist and the loggers work together? I know this is kind of out there but my guess if it could be pulled off we just might turn some heads. There are environmental groups and some kind of special interest association for about anything you could think of. Combine these with the hunting, fishing and anything outdoors groups and just simply say no. This country is on a path to become the very thing the first settlers came here to get away from. No public lands and the only ones hunting are the extremely rich. The King will own the game. We already have taxation without representation or anyway that's the way it seems. It doesn't seem like the issues important to me are being addressed in a manner that represents me, my family or any of my friends. I think it can be fixed but we may have to fire everyone from the President to the Dog Catcher to get it done. OUR public lands! I think we need to fight to retain every acre, they are not the governments to sell. I guess enough said for now......good night everyone.
This is exactly what needs to be done...none of these groups as individuals will be large/strong enough. This is not impossible and has been done in the passed. An example that comes to my mind is Pinedale Wyoming; you had sportsmen/women, enviros, ranchers, birders, campers, etc... all agree that something was wrong and needed to be done. The habitat and water really were being wrecked and it wasn't just a figment of some ideologues imagination. Another example is how target shooter and mountain bikers got together to help diminish illegal dumping just north of Grand Junction, CO (mind you these two groups still butt heads but were able to manage a temporary truce to solve a larger problem).

It can be done everybody! Be respectful of other user groups when you're out in the woods and it will go a long ways someday when we really do need to band together! They will need us (hunters) too, however :)

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
This is exactly what needs to be done...none of these groups as individuals will be large/strong enough. This is not impossible and has been done in the passed. An example that comes to my mind is Pinedale Wyoming; you had sportsmen/women, enviros, ranchers, birders, campers, etc... all agree that something was wrong and needed to be done. The habitat and water really were being wrecked and it wasn't just a figment of some ideologues imagination. Another example is how target shooter and mountain bikers got together to help diminish illegal dumping just north of Grand Junction, CO (mind you these two groups still butt heads but were able to manage a temporary truce to solve a larger problem).

It can be done everybody! Be respectful of other user groups when you're out in the woods and it will go a long ways someday when we really do need to band together! They will need us (hunters) too, however :)
My point exactly. Do you think we could generate numbers great enough to dominate the issue? Not just rally against the land sales proposal, but enough to simply say no and be upheld.

micropterus79

Jun 19, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
My point exactly. Do you think we could generate numbers great enough to dominate the issue? Not just rally against the land sales proposal, but enough to simply say no and be upheld.
Maybe not in all cases but for the most part, yes, I do think we can generate the numbers. The only reason I feel this way is because the issue crosses the political spectrum. No one can say that it is just a fringe group from either end of the spectrum.

We can temporarily set aside arguments on which areas should be open for hunting vs. mountain biking vs. horseback riding and on on because the progressive outdoor enthusiast is losing just as much of their rights and heritage as a hard core conservative outdoor enthusiast and I think this is obvious to all public land users. Think of it this way, the Dems already have a corner on this issue and if just a few influential Repubs could cease the scorched earth anti-federal government pandering, at least for a while, it would be a done deal (before anyone gets offended, I am well aware of the scorched earth pandering the Dems do too; I am pretty much sick of all R's and D's to be honest and this public land issue is one of the reasons).

However, for it to really take off, just like in all political campaigns, the folks we really need to convince are those that are unaware or undecided on the issue (e.g. people that live in heavily urbanized areas that think public lands are "green spaces" or parks). How to reach these folks, I don't know. It's tough to convince someone to jump into a battle when they have nothing to lose or gain.

I know there are ton of conservation and hunting organizations out there but do they do any outreach to inner cities areas? I would guess that could be a huge step toward convincing a new audience that this not about politics, its about being an American and even if they don't deer hunt in WY or go birding in AZ, its about losing the option and it is about losing an important part of what we consider real freedom.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I just read on another forum that Wisconsin is selling off State land w/o public input. Sad state of affairs. The Republicans want to sell your hunting lands and the Democrats want our guns. Where the hell is this country heading?

Joe Schmo

Jan 14, 2017
I just read on another forum that Wisconsin is selling off State land w/o public input. Sad state of affairs. The Republicans want to sell your hunting lands and the Democrats want our guns. Where the hell is this country heading?
Towards bow hunting only on the land that you lease from Trump's son for $5,000 a year.