so what do you use for lunches on your backpack hunts?

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
I found a company that makes MRE sandwiches, I got BBQ beef and chicken, they also have a pepperoni and pizza-ish one, but those didn't sound appetizing to me.

They're shelf stable for five+ years, which is a bonus.

A sandwich, a Probar and Orange Gatorade mixed with Lime Starbucks Refresher.

But, those peanut butter, honey and bacon sandwiches are AWESOME - somebody on here gave me the idea and I tried one, I have been wanting to make another one just because it's so good.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I like bagels with Swiss cheese, pepperoni and salami. Trail mix, jerky and some pop tarts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
[video]https://youtu.be/3qj2gK4XO3g?list=PLsCaxOyKjb4rXTIpRaNf9F8PKibH2LmN z[/video]

Here is the video we did.

Wild Country

Jan 29, 2012
OR
Add some honey to that pb & b and its meal time! My wife makes homemade fruit roll ups that are dynamite quick energy!
Pass on the homemade fruit roll up receipt if its not a family secret......that sounds just awesome!

YakCountry

Jan 26, 2015
Colorado
I tried peanut butter/bacon/bagel last week. Just threw the remainders away this morning. Comparable to biting off a piece of my boot sole and chewing it.
I'll stick with costco trail mix, nugo bars, and sweet/salty bars.
The key is good bagels, crunchy peanut butter and thick cut bacon. I also add honey and mix it up with different bagel flavors like blue berry and cinnamon raisin. Not for everybody though.

coastalarms

Lunch always ends up being the heaviest (in weight) meal that I pack. Oatmeal and such for breakfast is light, dehydrated meals for dinner are light as well.

The lunch and snacks for the day usually look like this:
Snickers mini with almonds (2)
An apple or orange, they weight a fair amount, but I just like something fresh and refreshing
Cliff bar or Gatorade chewy things
bagel, tortillas, crackers or hard roll
cheese and salami (or whatever I can bring that will do ok without refrigeration)

Laddy

Nov 19, 2013
Idaho
Mountain House Review

I know these are usually used for dinners, however I have heated them up for lunch and then saved some for dinner.
That was a good review.

My problem at altitude, usually do in part to being partially dehydrated, is not having an appetite at all. So with that said I bring things I know I'll eat, and save the "must get protein or complex carbs" for dinners.

I graduate my lunches from perishable items such as salami and a brick of cheese early in the week (easier to stretch when we hit mid October) to energy bars later in the week.

I also have been starting to take the JIF on the go, individual peanut butter cups, over the last few trips---I spread them on granola bars.

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
Last week we ate Starkist Tuna packs and a pack of Ramen Noodles. Finished with a couple paydays, granola bars, or some crackers. I was pleased with the Tuna packs...19g Protein, 110 Calories, and 2.6 oz. Hickory Smoked was my favorite, and they are very compact for packing. View attachment 10563
I use the Tuna packs also. I carry pre-packaged cheese crackers and top them with the tuna. Filling and easy. I seem to do better with meat protein opposed to grains and nuts, although I do carry a special trail mix I make up myself from the bulk food section.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
good ideas. breakfast and dinner are my sit down meals where I fill up. lunch is usually trail mix with nuts and whatever else I put in it and I eat it on the go or while glassing or whenever I need some fast energy.