New approved regulations

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Looks like Colorado finally came to their senses and is going to allow lighted nocks and recording devices on bows. Plus a lot more changes.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Regulations/Ch02.pdf

Here is the link to the regulation changes
I haven't had time to read through all 163 pages... I got the email with the "highlights". Curious what additional hunting opportunities for unit 61 are? Do like those new muzzleloader antelope dates though!

njdoxie

Oct 9, 2013
As a nonresident looks like I will be paying a little more for my license but I am getting use to it !
Yes, nonres in most states get screwed, I wish there was no distinction between res and nonres, and while we're at it OTC tags for all units and all states, unless a unit has bad overcrowding and then limit the number of people. Let the howling begin.

Last edited:

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
Yes, nonres in most states get screwed, I wish there was no distinction between res and nonres, and while we're at it OTC tags for all units and all states, unless a unit has bad overcrowding and then limit the number of people. Let the howling begin.
Wait a minute? ha!

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Yea some changes and additions. What I took from it is.

The addition of a early rifle deer hunt in unit 65.. Is interesting.

4th buck hunts are back in the basin. I think they should have held off a year or two but it is here.

Shed hunting season in the basin. Was needed to many people hunting sheds to early.

This will also be the first year that Land Owners get a higher percentage of tags so we will see how that plays out.

The sheep/goat/bear changes are what they are.

Tag prices in Co are tied to cpi so when cpi goes up as it does every year guess what..

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
Pretty soon the cpw is gonna have a shed hunting season for the whole state. All because some people can't help but bother the animals too early. Sure wish they would just take away those few bad apples' privaledge's. If you are caught harrassing wildlife you should have your all-around hunting privaledge's revoked for life. If you don't respect the resource you are trying to take advantage of, clearly you don't need to reap the benefits of that resource. Making a season and shed hunting "hours" seems like laziness from the cpw, taking away rights because of a few bad apples. Silly.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
They don't have the resources to watch over every good shed hunting area. If they tried to raise tag prices so they could hire more officers to watch these areas people would be so upset they would start crying and soil themselves. Thus the bad apples ruin it for everyone. I agree the penalty should be more severe. They should also outright ban the sale of deer and elk antlers in the U.S and ban exporting them. That would devalue the antlers and lunatics would quit harassing wildlife.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
They had the resources to cut gov tag dates partly due to efforts of a vocal minority in the basin....so it'd be good karma for banning the sell of antlers. Problem will be folks want the large ones for personal use.

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
They don't have the resources to watch over every good shed hunting area. If they tried to raise tag prices so they could hire more officers to watch these areas people would be so upset they would start crying and soil themselves. Thus the bad apples ruin it for everyone. I agree the penalty should be more severe. They should also outright ban the sale of deer and elk antlers in the U.S and ban exporting them. That would devalue the antlers and lunatics would quit harassing wildlife.
Ya, but with even a little extra effort from the cpw to catch and punish those yahoos, more than likely word would spread of the crackdown on harassment. The bad apples would be dealt with and people that have the notion to chase animals might be deterred just by knowing the consequenses. Just seems a little extreme to jump straight into taking away rights of the majority that obey laws instead of taking a few steps to dispose of the few bad apples. Talk about a knee jerk reaction. And banning the sale and export of antlers, imagine the black market opportunities? Lets push for that and brown elk might jump to $50/lb. :)

ROGER SANCHEZ

Dec 3, 2012
I just applied. Cow elk tag was $461 and deer tag was $371. I tried searching for the amount I paid last year and the year before, but I couldn't find it. Does anyone recall how much they were last year? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I just applied. Cow elk tag was $461 and deer tag was $371. I tried searching for the amount I paid last year and the year before, but I couldn't find it. Does anyone recall how much they were last year? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last year a NR Cow/fishing combo was $451.00 and deer was 361.

Last edited:

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
If we can use lighted nocks and video recorders on our bows now, why don't we just go ahead and allow primitive muzzleloaders during archery season too? With guy's shooting their bows 80 yds anymore that's right in line with what a side lock or flintlock with patched round balls can do. I say let's do it! Let the howling begin again... :cool:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
If we can use lighted nocks and video recorders on our bows now, why don't we just go ahead and allow primitive muzzleloaders during archery season too? With guy's shooting their bows 80 yds anymore that's right in line with what a side lock or flintlock with patched round balls can do. I say let's do it! Let the howling begin again... :cool:
If they allow it, then we should be allowed to wear full camo instead of being dressed like pumpkins!

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
Lighted nocks and recording devices don't give an advantage at archers in opportunity at an animal. They help in more ethical recovery. Advantage muzzleloader still. Most guys aren't shooting at 80 yds also. My max is 50 anything after that there is too many factors to make it a wounded animal chase to chance it.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Yeah, I know lighted nocks and recording devices aren't any advantage to the archery hunter. I was saying that tongue in cheek. With more and more technology used during archery season it kind of takes away from the "primitive weapons" theory which is why archers get such a long season during the best time of the year to hunt elk! I personally think it's just as hard to get into flintlock muzzleloader range of an elk as it is compound bow range. Your max range might be 50 yards with your bow (it's mine too) but that sure isn't the trend as archery evolves. Lighted nocks and recording devices aiding in "a more ethical recovery"... there's two sides to every argument. Go over to Archery Talk and see what their saying about it over there. Lots of guy's think lighted nocks make guy's botch shots by "peeking". I don't have an opinion myself. It's debatable to say the least. I'm an archery hunter too, just love the muzzleloader and would like to be able to hunt the whole month of September for elk too. I'll promise to keep shots under 60 yards :eek: