Trail Cam For An IPad?

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
This question has possibly been asked here before but here it is: Does anybody know of a good trail cam that I can view the videos/pics on an IPad? My previous trail cams (Wildgame Innovations) will not upload the video/pics onto my IPad Mini, even with a usb adapter. Now that my laptop and surface (worst tablet ever) are no longer functioning I need to figure this out. Maybe somebody can tell me what app I need to view my .WGI files with? Thanks in advance fellas'.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I use a sd card adaptor to view on my iPad. You take the card out of the camera, put it in the adaptor and your camera roll will open and allow you to import all the photos, select wich ones you want to import or just view all of them. Then you can delete all the photos off the card so it's ready to put back into the camera and take more photos.

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
I tried that and can view the still images, but the videos wont play for some reason? I've tried downloading different media player apps and every time the error message comes up informing me it can't read the .WGI file?

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Not sure on the video. I haven't used the video on my cams yet. Hope Ya find something. Good luck.

BruinPoint

Sep 6, 2011
Colorado
I just Googled it to make sure but a .wgi is a Wild Game Innovations proprietary photo file that an ipad isn't going to recognize on its own. WGI might have some kind of app or plug-in to get you there but personally I'd find another trail cam. I've been really happy with the Cabelas brand cam I bought this year but I don't remember offhand what file format the video is in.

The proprietary file thing is BS, especially when there is already a convenient universal format that does the same thing.

Last edited:

coloradoshedhead

Jul 9, 2014
Colorado
Sounds like I'm gonna have to get a new camera. I've tried looking for apps and such from wildgame innovations and I found with their newer cams they are available, but not the older cams.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
It's annoying more than anything just because of how much of a PITA it is to delete the pics off the iPad. A cpl hundred pics is no problem, but I run a lot of cameras and it isn't out of the ordinary to have 4K pics on some. Easier to just use one of my smaller laptops.