Zen Ray ED2 binoculars

fatrooster

Jul 5, 2011
Spring Creek, Nevada
Bitterroot, I had bought my wife a pair of ED2's so that she wouldn't keep stealing my swaro EL's.(And I wanted a bino that I could keep in my truck)After a few months of using the Zen Rays I saw a deal on the internet for a pair of Meostars so I sold the ED2's to help me buy the Meostars. But I wasn't quick enough and the Meostars got sold before I could get them. But then I saw a pair of ED2's for sale for $300.00 and decided to get them because I felt it was a good deal. They were in great shape but The CA was in there just like the new pair that I had sold. At this time I still have that second pair and do keep them in the truck. I think they are a great bino and would not hesitate to use them hunting and the CA is not bad or a great deterrent. I will admit that when using the Zen Rays I miss my swaro's dearly. My eyesight is not the best so I might be seeing a flaw that you don't see because my eyes are already flawed. Nevertheless, I will agree with you that the value of this bino exceeds its price. Its good to see the lower priced bino companies bring the quality up closer to the standard of the high end bino's. I can't understand why the big three keep taking the price higher and higher to astranomical levels. Soon they will be so high priced that nobody will be able to afford them. Zen Ray and Vortex are getting a lot of bussiness and deserve it considering the quality and low price and warranty. I hope the big 3 will wake up one day and quit raising thier prices at such great rapidness. Ooops, kinda got off the subject. Sorry, fatrooster.

Jon Boy

Apr 13, 2011
Billings, MT
I just ordered them ill let you guys know how they are. They have a 30 day return policy so if I dont like them ill just return them. Couldn't pass up the 20 percent off :)

westernwannabe

Apr 15, 2011
Southeast, Ohio
Ed3

I took bitteroot's advice and got the ED3. They are very clear and bright excellent binos. Thanks for the advice bitteroot! Great binos and I can still afford to make the trip to Idaho elk hunting this year, instead of setting back east looking threw my German binos. Lol

GrantMan

Mar 3, 2011
Nevada
I got myself a pair of 7x36 ED2 a couple of months ago based on the reviews I have read. I have to say the hype is true. I am very satisfied with the wide FOV and optical sharpness of these bins. I will be very tempted when the 7x43 ED3 come out.

magnum12

May 31, 2011
Just got my pair of 10X43 ED3's in the mail yesterday and I do have to say I'm really impressed with them. They are clear, bright, and comfortable to hold. They were well worth the upgrade from my Monarchs.

Scott S

Jun 8, 2011
Pelham, AL
I went ahead and bought the ED3 and they are scheduled to arrive this Saturday. I am just a regular hunter and have no professional optics background so my observations of them, once received this weekend, will be from someone who is not an expert in the least bit. I also bought the S4 Gear bino harness that Guy covered in this months EHJ. Can't wait to try them both out at the same time.

Jon Boy

Apr 13, 2011
Billings, MT
I used them all weekend on my scouting trip. Like said before, I dont have any professional optics back ground either but I will say that I think there well worth the money. I had no eye fatigue after glassing for long periods of time and the light gathering ability in low light was awesome. After it was nearly entirely dark all I could see were elk silhouettes, I put the binos up and could pick up a spike bull and a rag horn 4x5. Other wise I had no idea if there were any bulls in the group

Scott S

Jun 8, 2011
Pelham, AL
I don't have elk or any such magnificent animals to look at here but I have used my new ED3's at dusk a couple of times over the last week and they really are worth the money! They are the brightest bins I've ever owned and I can't wait to use them this year whitetail hunting here in Alabama and watching Mississippi State football games. :)

The S4 Gear harness is just too cool and perfect!! No bouncing and no falling away from my body/chest like my other elastic harnesses have all done in the past. This was the best $40 I think I've spent in a long time!

MOHunter

Jul 14, 2011
Joplin, MO
Bitterroot,

I have a couple of questions for you.

1. How do you think the Zens compare to Vortex? I was looking seriously at the Vortex in large part because of their warranty. It appears Zen has a very similar warranty. Thoughts?

2. In the Vortex line how do the old Vipers (non-HD) compare with the newer HD versions? I am looking at the Vipers rather than the Talons because I like the 6x32 for hunting here in MO. I've read that the HD really only adds noticeable improvement at higher magnifications/further distance. Thanks for your input.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Bitterroot,

I have a couple of questions for you.

1. How do you think the Zens compare to Vortex? I was looking seriously at the Vortex in large part because of their warranty. It appears Zen has a very similar warranty. Thoughts?

2. In the Vortex line how do the old Vipers (non-HD) compare with the newer HD versions? I am looking at the Vipers rather than the Talons because I like the 6x32 for hunting here in MO. I've read that the HD really only adds noticeable improvement at higher magnifications/further distance. Thanks for your input.
MOHunter:

1. The Zen Ray ED2 is a brother of the Vortex Talon HD. They have the same specs, same feel, same size, same view. Although neither Zen Ray or Vortex would probably tell you, I would be shocked if they didn't come from the same OEM manufacturer in China. They have minor differences in armor, eye cups, etc., but for practical purposes they are equivalents. The ED3 is the next version of the same design with some changes in tripod socket, dialectric coating, and focus knob speed. I haven't heard a bad word about either Zen Ray or Vortex in regards to customer service. Both have lifetime, fully transferrable warranties with no registration or warranty card required.

2. The Vipers (Both HD and non-HD) perform at a very high level. Their image is similar to the ED2/Talons, but the Vipers have a bit less field of view and show a little more Chromatic Aberration at the edge. However, the Vipers do have a little sharper edge performance, as you might expect with a smaller field of view. the Viper is a little shorter, but the weights are about the same.

The views are similar enough that the decision could be made based on whether you like an open bridge or piano hinge design better.

Hope that helps.