Zeiss Bino's ?

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
When looking back through the threads I havn't seen any reviews on Zeiss binos. Dose anyone own or know anything about Zeiss? A buddys dad just got a pair of Zeiss conquest binos 15x45. Is that a good power for binos? I was maybe thinking of getting a pair my self. What do they compare to as far as other optics? Whats the big difference between the conquest and the victory models?

I aways thought Zeiss made quality optics, I was suprised to not see any reveiws on them.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Zeiss makes great products. The Conquest line is OK (especially the 8x40 ABK - that is a nice one), but that particular model (15x45) isn't the best. There is no tripod exit, so you end up having to use some awkward adapter to tripod mount them. Performance is OK, but there is some field curvature and noticeable chromatic aberration.

For a while there I was interested in 15x binoculars, and looked closely at the Conquest. The Vortex Kaibab is much superior, and has the usual tripod exit. The SLC is the best roof 15x binocular available, but the Kaibab is right on its heels.

Zeiss' FL line competes with the rest of the super-bins out there. They are awesome.

Zeiss just released a totally new Conquest HD line, and time will tell how good they are.

The Conquest riflescopes are awesome, and great values.

Zeiss is still one of the "big three," and their products are usually tough to beat.

mav_7mm

Jan 19, 2012
Corvallis, Oregon
I'm nowhere near the expert Bitterroot is but I own a pair of Zeiss binos and I absolutely love them. I have used them glassing California grasslands and the clear-cuts of Oregon and the result is always the same, they are GREAT!

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Muleys24/7,

Are you in the market for bins?

If you are just let us know what kind of hunting you will be doing and a budget, and we can give some suggestions.

15x binoculars are kind of specialized in use. I much prefer 10x and 8x bins for general hunting.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
When I bought my Binoculars, I took Swarovski El's, Leica Ultravids, and Zeiss Victory FL's outside just before dark at Sportsmans. Put them all on tripods and compared them all side by side. The VIctory FL's I thought by far were the best out of those three. That being said the price was also alot more and I ended up buying the Swarovskis.

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
I just bought (and I mean like seriously 15 minutes ago) the Zeiss Victory FL 10x42s. The guy that runs the sports store here in town gave them to me for a great price so I couldn't resist. Looking through them, they are amazing. I am way excited to go look at elk this weekend now!

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
I just bought (and I mean like seriously 15 minutes ago) the Zeiss Victory FL 10x42s. The guy that runs the sports store here in town gave them to me for a great price so I couldn't resist. Looking through them, they are amazing. I am way excited to go look at elk this weekend now!
Thanks Jen! I don't mind if you try them out for me for a few weeks! Your the best friend ever!

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Muleys24/7,

Are you in the market for bins?

If you are just let us know what kind of hunting you will be doing and a budget, and we can give some suggestions.

15x binoculars are kind of specialized in use. I much prefer 10x and 8x bins for general hunting.
Bitterroot Bulls, I'm working on getting the razor hd spotting scope first and the bino upgrade will be next.The type of hunting I'll be doing is 5 to 6 miles maybe more, into backcountry.

I currently have the Leupold goldring HD's 10x42, they are not a bad pair of glass, I've been really happy with the quality of them however they're a bit on the heavy side for the backcountry hunting I'm getting set up for. I definitely like the 10x42 power but was going to consider 15x. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've heard any binos over 45mm start to jump up in weight fast. That's why I was maybe thinking the zeiss conquest 15x45 although I have never compaired them to others yet so I wouldn't know.

My buddys dad is the one turning me on to Zeiss saying they're the best thing since apple pie..... but when it comes to optics, I think there is more than one company that makes "the best" ones so thats why I was tryin to dig up info on Zeiss.

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Lucky, What a nice pair of binos, I have been thinking about those too

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
When I bought my Binoculars, I took Swarovski El's, Leica Ultravids, and Zeiss Victory FL's outside just before dark at Sportsmans. Put them all on tripods and compared them all side by side. The VIctory FL's I thought by far were the best out of those three. That being said the price was also alot more and I ended up buying the Swarovskis.
The Big Three all make flagship products. While Ruttin sees the FLs as the clear winner, others prefer the Swarovision, or the Ultravid HD. Each has their strongest and weakest points. Swaros are very even in resolution, contrast, and aberration control. Leica favors contrast, making an apparently brighter image. Zeiss controls chromatic aberration exceedingly well, while allowing for some minor distortion and edge softening.

My current favorite super-bin is the SLC HD. Aberrations are extremely well controlled while leaving just enough pincushion distortion to avoid rolling-ball while panning. The Swarovision is too well corrected, for me, and the rolling ball is pronounced in it.

If you are in the market for a top-of-the-line binocular, I would suggest getting some outside time with each one before you decide which one is "awesomest."

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
Zeiss makes great products. The Conquest line is OK

Zeiss' FL line competes with the rest of the super-bins out there. They are awesome.

Zeiss is still one of the "big three," and their products are usually tough to beat.
Like always, Bitterroot nailed it.

I had a pair of 10x40 Conquests. I was not impressed. Maybe I got a bad apple but there was a ton of CA.

Upgraded to the 10x45 Victory RF binos. Only way I could be happier is if the RF had the angle feature. The glass is excellent though.