Zeiss 18-45x65 or Nikon Fieldscope III ED 20-60x60

12ring

Feb 21, 2011
North Pole, AK
I have been looking a getting a new spotter in the 1000-1500 dollar range and have pretty much narrowed my search down to these two scope. Now I am having a hard time deciding between the two. I am currently stationed in England, so being able to do a side by side comparison has been impossible. If anyone has any firsthand knowledge of these scopes I would appreciate your input. Also any input on other scopes in this price range that I may have over looked.

Thanks for your input.

Andy

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Andy,

I owned and used the 15-45X65 Zeiss Diascope for three years before upgrading to the Vortex Razor 85HD. My main reason for getting the Vortex was for the larger aperture, and it's advantages in digiscoping. First, let me say that the Zeiss is one of the best 65mm spotters in the world. The Fieldscope is not up to the Zeiss' performance level. The Zeiss does have some drawbacks. It has a yellowish cast to the image. It also has a blurry edge at the 15X end of the zoom. Up at 45x, it is sharp to the edge. The version I had also did not have a eyepiece lock, so I was always unscrewing the eyepiece when adjusting the power ring. The newest black rubber armored version does have a locking eyepiece (but I have not seen that version under $1500). The Zeiss is super sharp, and well-corrected for most optical aberrations.

The best scope available for under $1500 is the Vortex Razor 85HD.

12ring

Feb 21, 2011
North Pole, AK
BB,

I found the new version of the Zeiss on bhphotovideo.com for 1299. Where are you finding the Vortex Razor 85HD for under 1500? Thanks for your review.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
That is my fault, 12ring, I misread your post and thought you were referring to the Zeiss Diascope 65, not the new Dialyt spotter. I have not seen or used the Dialyt, but it is supposed to be a step below the Diascope. My remarks were about the Diascope.

You can find the Razor HD for under 1500, if you call some dealers, and let them know you are active duty. I sent you a PM.

Last edited: