Yoga

Bullcan

Member
Oct 6, 2016
77
25
Anyone ever try Yoga ? As I am getting older I find myself getting dinged up with minor injuries from time to time. This is new to me as I never really have had any issues before. Frankly, I want to be one of those guys that is hunting into their 80's. My normal workouts involve weight training, mountain biking, and walking inclines with a loaded pack. I have been researching Yoga and it seems like it might help. I know it can't hurt, but don't want to waste time/money if it is not going to benefit me much. Any input ?
 

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
7,419
2,326
www.eastmans.com
I haven't ever done it, my wife has done some forms or fashion without the eastern religion aspects.
 

Colorado Cowboy

Veteran member
Jun 8, 2011
7,799
3,599
81
Dolores, Colorado
I have been thinking about it too. I AM 80 and notice that I am not as flexible as I'd like to be. I do lots of stretching and walking. I do have some back issues that will probably need surgery.

Guess I'll do a little research and see if it fits for me.
 

Bullcan

Member
Oct 6, 2016
77
25
without the eastern religion aspects.

I was a little leary about this also, but the place I am thinking about is pretty normal. I was also worried they may be anti-hunting and there was no way i was supporting a business that was. I called and talked to the owner about if Yoga might work for me and I worked into the conversation that I wanted to improve my hunting. She then commented that her husband hunts and she does a little fishing, so I don't have to worry about that aspect.
 

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
907
1,038
Upper Michigan
I’ve haven’t done full blown Yoga as I am very Leary of the eastern religion as others have mentioned, however I have used a lot of the techniques incorporated into our workouts over the years. Tremendous improvement of flexibility and core strength. Made it a lot easier to climb into a tree stand and play sports with my kids. I would highly recommend it if you can stay away from the religious part of it.
 

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
5,852
3,646
Ohio
I have incorporated yoga more over the past year with my increase in running and getting older ( in 40’s).
I simply think of it as stretching. That’s really what 60% of it is while incorporating isometric holds the other 40%.
It does help.
 

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
556
81
Florida
It definitely has benefits for all ages and fitness levels. After being laid up for a while with a back injury, core strength and flexibility not to mention some stress relief are the biggest benefits. No need to worry about religion aspect as you can do it from home if a concern without.
 

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
1,819
1,456
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I hate yoga with a purple passion. But, it definitely has merit as a fitness routine, and anyone who poo-poos it should take a class with a bunch of women and prepare to have your ass kicked. My yoga experience was primarily as a part of the P90X routines.
As far as the "eastern religion" aspect, the videos from P90X have none of that, but it was definitely a part of the traditional martial art that I practiced for years. Most of that aspect related to meditation, and focusing your inner power. I had a full EKG workup when I was 40 as part of my reserve component, and I actually scared the tech when I showed her that I could control my heartrate. She told me to stop it when it got to 40 bpm. It definitely helps in all aspects of hunting.