Wild Diet

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
A few months ago I was scrolling thru podcasts looking for something to listen to. I somehow found my way to "The Fat Burning Man" podcast with Abel James. He seemed to make sense so I ordered his cookbook The Wild Diet and my wife and I started following Abel's advice. It's a paleo based diet that in theory helps you burn fat instead of carbs for energy.

The first week came with some fatigue and general lack of energy but that soon faded for both of us. We have been following it for 3 months now and I am really amazed at the results. I've lost 25 pounds and have never felt hungry in the process. My head seems clearer and I have more energy than I have in years! We eat all real food and eat until we are full yet I continue to lose weight. No bread or grain products but to be honest I don't miss them much. We are always active but have not had to "work out" in any way other than riding our bikes or hiking.

It's probably not for everyone but if you are struggling to get into hunt shape I would suggest checking out Abel's podcast.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I e been wanting to do a cave man type diet myself. I'll check into it. Is it like the Primal Blueprint?

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
I e been wanting to do a cave man type diet myself. I'll check into it. Is it like the Primal Blueprint?
I'm going to say yes. I just googled Primal Blueprint and I see it's by Mark Sisson. He's been on Abel's podcast and I believe it to be very similar. Mark is a very sharp guy as well!

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
It's just another fad diet that will soon fade away just like all the other super duper magical miracle diets that will "make you shed pounds fast" like the Atkins diet, the South Beach diet, the raw food diet, the juice diet, the gluten free diet.
The truth is that most people simply eat too much and don't get enough exercise. Eating a normal diet of all foods in moderation is always best. I am by no means in tip top physical shape and also guilty of bad eating habits on occasion.
But if it's works for you by all means keep at it.

How do I spot a fad diet?
While there is no set approach to spotting a fad diet, the following guidelines can help. Fad diets tend to have:

Recommendations that promise a quick fix
Claims that sound too good to be true
Simplistic conclusions drawn from a complex study
Recommendations based on a single study
Dramatic statements that are refuted by reputable scientific organizations
Lists of "good" and "bad" foods
Recommendations made to help sell a product
Recommendations based on studies published without peer review
Recommendations from studies that ignore differences among individuals or groups
Eliminated one or more of the five food groups
Devoting yourself to a lifestyle that includes regular exercise and eating a variety of foods with moderate portions is still the best method to lose weight and to keep it off.

Last edited:

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I can recall folks touting a wild man diet, diet as in what foods you ate, not as in limiting intake, 20 or so years ago. Not a fad to lose weight as much as a lifestyle eating choice, sounds similar to what you found. Similar deal, no bread/grains, all meats and vegs/fruit as I recall. Paleo like as well. I tend to limit grains myself without trying, except beer, that is a fluid...have to stay hydrated. Glad it is working for you, I might have to read up on it.

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
It's just another fad diet that will soon fade away just like all the other super duper magical miracle diets that will "make you shed pounds fast" like the Atkins diet, the South Beach diet, the raw food diet, the juice diet, the gluten free diet.
The truth is that most people simply eat too much and don't get enough exercise. Eating a normal diet of all foods in moderation is always best. I am by no means in tip top physical shape and also guilty of bad eating habits on occasion.
But if it's works for you by all means keep at it.

How do I spot a fad diet?
While there is no set approach to spotting a fad diet, the following guidelines can help. Fad diets tend to have:

Recommendations that promise a quick fix
Claims that sound too good to be true
Simplistic conclusions drawn from a complex study
Recommendations based on a single study
Dramatic statements that are refuted by reputable scientific organizations
Lists of "good" and "bad" foods
Recommendations made to help sell a product
Recommendations based on studies published without peer review
Recommendations from studies that ignore differences among individuals or groups
Eliminated one or more of the five food groups
Devoting yourself to a lifestyle that includes regular exercise and eating a variety of foods with moderate portions is still the best method to lose weight and to keep it off.
I have to disagree with you. A paleo diet is as far from being a fad as could be. Thats the whole point.....eat real food like humans have eaten since the dawn of time. If there is a fad to worry about it's the fad of eating processed foods and GMO grains. That has actually only occurred for a quick little period in time and the result is dramatic. Widespread obesity and disease.

The "Wild Diet" is basically a cook book of low carb meals that utilizes all real food. The key is real food not processed food. We eat primarily wild meat but if we do eat beef it is our own grass fed beef raised on our property. The difference in nutrients between commercial raised beef and grass fed is staggering and it is backed up with scientific research.

I get that a lot of weight loss plans are fads but this is just an adjustment to what you eat that results in burning a lot of fat. Grain is a primary culprit in diabetes which leads to dementia.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
If you believe in it and it works for you and your wife as a lifestyle by all means go for it. Good luck to you.

FitToHunt

If you approach it like a "diet" it will fail. Making the switch to Paleo style eating habits can be very effective and healthy for the long term. You just have to allow yourself chances to "cheat" and then get right back on.