When Did You Kill Your First Elk?

youngbuck2

Nov 4, 2016
Minnesota
This is one of the best threads Ive come across on here. Its so fun to hear everyones stories. I could read/listen to these for days!

I was 29, on my 4th annual once in a lifetime elk hunting trip with my dad and 2 buddies. We had hunted hard all day, beating the timber and putting on the miles. We were hunting our way off the mountain when we spotted what we appeared to be a lone cow feeding on the hillside. With 2 of the guys having cow tags, we stopped to glass and try get a shot opportunity. 1 lone cow turned into 13 elk total. With light fading fast and elk gaining on the timber we decided to take our shots on 2 legal bulls. My buddy and I both killed out first elk, side by side. For me, with my dad on the other side. About 5:12 PM on November 17, 2018. 353 yards across the canyon, we let it fly. It started snowing just as we pulled the trigger, so we had to hurry to locate them. By buddy and I got to the critters while the others took the horses down. It was cold enough, so we quartered and hung them for the night to pack out the next day. The next morning we rode our horses to the spot of the shot and tied them up. some 13 hours later, 4 dead tired men, 2 bull elk and 4 loaded horses we made it back to camp. Truly a hunt I will never forget and hope I can experience something similar with my boy someday.

Colorado Public Land 100% DIY Hunt.

Attachments