What size trailer? 2012 Polaris 500 Ranger Crew.

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a 2012 Polaris 500 Ranger Crew. I currently have a 5’ x 8’ trailer for my four wheeler and know the Polaris will not start to fit on it. Question is do I need a 6’ x 10’ or 6’ x 12’ with a fold up gate? I don’t want too much as I have an 18’ for the big stuff.
Thanks in advance.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I'm a huge fan of dual axles. Flat tire, you can drive it to a better spot to fix the flat, bring a couple boards an you can drive the good tire on the boards and change the flat tire without jacking it up. They ride a whole lot nicer too.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Only putting in what experience I do have here. I had a 2008 Polaris ranger crew cab and mine fit on a 5 x 8 trailer. It was tight but it worked. Keep in mind you only need the tires on and if the body hangs off a little you should be fine. What I really liked about that size trailer was once I unloaded the Ranger I could pull that trailer behind the Ranger for many other purposes.

Reactions: mallardsx2

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've always liked enough room on my trailers to place a tool box on it once the machine was loaded.

So that adds another 2-3' of trailer but it sure is nice to be able to store and lock some things up in the box.

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
This one is a 6x10 it is a little tight but it tows good i bought it a ritchie bros auction for $1200 iv but over 10k miles on it the ramps that came on it there to long and are off in this pic iv cut then down to 2'

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
As much as I pull trailers I would NEVER have a dual Axel trailer to just pull a little buggy around. Dual axel trailers are meant for towing things that weight over a couple thousand pounds.

2X the bearing failure
2X the tires
2X the rims
Shackles wear out
Toll roads cost more
Cost more to get a tag for them in some states
Cost more for the trailer up front

I would recommend going with a single Axel drop gate trailer 6X12 from lowes or home depot and grab you a spare tire from the tractor supply (Rim and all for 75$). They last forever and as long as you keep the axles greased and your castles tightened you should be good for a VERY long time.

You could take the money you save and get you a couple spare tires a cordeless impact gun and one of these vvv as well...they are worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonecollector

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I just ordered a 6.5'x14' for a ranger but I wanted room for 2 coolers on the floor or a lockable box also. this is not a crew version.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Bearings last dang near forever if you keep them greased on any axle.
Because of the weight distribution tires last twice as long on a dual axle, plus the smooth ride.
The tongue weight kept off the truck with a dual axle takes a considerable amount of wear and tear of a vehicle that's likely 20x more expensive than the trailer.
Only rims I've ever seen wrecked on a trailer were on single axle rigs getting drug down the road to a safe place to change a flat.

Reactions: JimP

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
6E3E513E-45C5-41CC-BA02-CB2FD6294131.jpeg
I have a Doolittle 6610 (66”x10ft)smallest I could get for my ranger 900. Can put a 120qt cooler behind it on the deck and go. This trailer gets used 10x More than both 16ft tandem trailers. My jack pins up flat with the c channel frame if ground clearance is a issue.

you should have no issue selling your current trailer and getting one a little bigger.