300 win mag vortex viper pst ff 6x24
mini 14 ranch rifle redfield revolution 3x9
AR vortex strikefire II
22 bushnell 3x9

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I've been a Leupold fan for many years, but I don't like anything with the CDS right now. I have a couple VX-6 scopes that are not tracking correctly I'm sending into Leupold. One doesn't properly return to zero and one needs tapped with an empty case or it won't reliably move until it gets recoil the first time. I still like Leupold and have faith in their customer service making it right, but I think they need to re-design their erector system for dialing scopes. Some say they have on the new VX HD scopes but when I called Leupold the guy I talked to said they have not. I will probably sell these 2 after getting them back. My older Leupolds I don't dial elevation regularly on are solid scopes I'll keep around. I have a few Vortex and Redfields on 223's and 22's that have been reliable also.

The best scopes I've owned for low light are the VX-6 3-18x50 and the Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44. Both of those scopes are really impressive as the light fades, I can't really pick a winner in low light performance.

I just put a 3-12x42 Huskemaw on my 300 win mag. My gunsmith has sold and used a bunch of the Huskemaw scopes and believes they are as tough as anything on the market and dial very reliably. I am unsure what I will put on my 264WM right now. I'm considering saving up for a March or an X5 Swaro. I might end up getting another Huskemaw, but I would prefer something with a 3-4x bottom end and a 50mm objective on that rifle.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Mostly Leupold VX-III 3x9x40 scopes on high power files.
Leupold shotgun scope on my browning A-bolt 12ga slug gun.
Burris on my .44 magnum hunting handguns.
Redfield on my .22 (prior to becoming Leupold)
And alas, I have 2 tasco's that were on a rem 7600 .30-06 and a rem 870 slug gun from my dad's collection.

HogsFly

Apr 8, 2018
Parker, Colorado
While I'm a fan of Leupold, in the last couple of years, I've bought more and more Nightforce scopes for my various rifles. For the Leupold's, whether for a VX-3, VX-6, etc., I prefer the Boone and Crocket reticle. Some of those Leupold scopes have the capability for CDS turrets, but I've never sent one in to be laser-engraved based on the specific ballistic data (factoring in temperature, altitude, MV, BC, etc.) complied for a specific rifle/cartridge. Almost every Leupold scope I have is in second focal plane, except for a few first focal plane scopes with TMR reticles, based on mil-dot.

I really like the Nightforce scopes, and every one of mine is in first focal plane, and each one has basically the same MOAR reticle. Every time I pick up one of my rifles with a Nightforce scope mounted, I'm looking at the same reticle, and via FFP. A couple of my Nightforce scopes have ballistic-turrets, which are for a 6 (six) CDMR and a 7RM, and they work great. The others have typical MOA-turrets. Both "systems" work.

Obviously, there are more expensive scopes out there besides Leupold and Nightforce, but I don't like moving scopes around to different rifles, so I like to dedicate a specific scope to a specific rifle. To be able to justify the costs of "several" scopes, I prefer Leupold and Nightforce.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
Don't be afraid to look at other brands of quality scopes like minox, kahles, fujinon, sig, steiner, etc.. You can get more bang for your buck in some cases by looking at these instead of the brands like Leupold, Vortex, Swaro, etc... where you are paying for a name.