What scope caps are the best...?

NorthCountry

Jul 26, 2011
I'm looking to install a set of scope caps on my mountain rifle to keep dirt, rain, snow, etc. out. What do you guys recommend for brand and model. It seems Butler Creek caps are very popular but I don't know what model is the best. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I have some old Butler Creek caps that have held up for years, and still work like new. I recently had two newer (within the last two years) sets that have broken under light use. When comparing to the older ones, they just don't seem to measure up quality-wise. It seems that many have had trouble with Butler Creek caps since Bushnell bought out the company a few years ago.

I have switched to using a neoprene scope coat.

http://www.scopecoat.com/

Scopecoats are inexpensive, easy to get on and off in the field, and protect the whole scope, not just the lenses.

If I do get another set of flip-caps, I think they will be Bushwackers:

http://www.quakeinc.com/opticcover.html

NorthCountry

Jul 26, 2011
Thanks guys. I do have a leupold scope but $80 for alumina caps seems pretty steep compared to $15 for butler creek. As far as butler creek caps what model is better... Blizzard See Through or the Push Button/Flip Open? Thanks!!

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
They're both the same; just depends if you want see through or not.

Yes, $80 is a lot for the leupolds but then again they are not made of plastic and are magnetic. Pretty slick.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
I have always used Butler Creek on my rifles and have had really good luck with them for the most part. With that being said I have lost two front caps on my Leupold adj ob so I am saving up for the Leupold caps. Since I have purchased three front caps for one scope I don't think the $80 is such a bad investment. Good luck!

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I prefer the bikini ones. solide rubber, can't shoot thru them, but when taken off, you will see thru the scope. The flip up ones let rain in, if you are in the rain for any length of time.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
I have some old ones I can't find anymore new! They were an outfit out of Oregon then I believe bought by butler creek. I love them and have a few pair. I wish I would have bought more. They are similar to a bikini there are two rubber bands that hold on a soft plastic cover and on one side there is a soft plastic c clip that clips to your scope. Reach up and flip it off and it all falls to the left side out of the way. If anybody knows what I'm talking about and knows where you can still buy them let me know! I will try to get a company name on em.

ljmelea

Sep 26, 2011
Emmett, Idaho, United States
I agree the old butler creek caps lasted more than a season and stayed shut.The new ones(more imported junk) may last a season if
you don't mind that they won't stay closed.I think i'll try the bushwacker.I'd buy the leopold but i don't think they work on zeiss.Larry

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Leupolds....I've hunted in the rain with mine and did not have any problems. Only thing that ever happened is that they sometimes pop open when removing the rifle from a scabbard because of the tight fit of the scabbard. I can live with that as I don't hunt from a horse ofter. I have 3 sets.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
Really like the Leupold design and my son has those on his 4.5-14x40mm. They are quite, well built, and just plain work. I use the soft rubber bikini type on a couple of my own scopes as I haven't purchased the Leupold covers yet and they work very well also. I also just spent a whole season using the full length neoprene type of cover on my 25-06 while hunting for Mountain Goat this fall. The cover worked great and provided a little measure of additional protection for the scope.

mathewshooter

Mar 10, 2011
Michigan
I agree that the newer butler creek caps aren't made very good. I have an older set thats been on for probably 10 years and a new set I bought last year and they broke after 3 times in the field.