What pack for heavy rifle

pikeman1

Apr 6, 2017
U.P. of Michigan
I'm looking for a pack that has a scabbard that will fit my rifle. I have a heavy barreled rem, with a nightforce nxs on it and a bipod. Total weight around 14 lbs. Will be a day pack, holding water, food, spotting scope, and some clothes. Will pack out meat with it also. Price under 350. What do you guys use that fits my description. Thanks.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I have a very similar rifle and about the same weight. What I do is carry it like normal but put the sling over the frame on my pack to keep the weight off my shoulder.
Eberlestock packs are heavy by themselves at least the ones with the scabbard. The ones I've tried don't accommodate the large scopes if you have tall turrets very well.
I have also used Badlands packs that have the pocket for the butt of the stock to sit in that hangs down below the pack, then strap the rifle to the pack.
That has worked well for me in the passed.

N8tve_Hunter

Apr 20, 2017
Mystery Ranch packs are good, and I never had any trouble packing an of my guns with my Eberlestock, but IKeepitcold is right they are heavy by themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You are going to have a very hard time with the requirements that you have set forth.

There is always a trade off no matter what pack you purchase and if you plan on packing meat out with the same one then you are really are limited in what is out there.

I have different packs for different purposes. My day packs will very seldom see a meat packing job, there are better designs out there for the heavy work.

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
I had the J34 Eberlestock pack for 1 year and sold it. These packs are tough, but they are heavy and do not handle much wt well. The J34 will sag with 40+ lbs.
My rifle is about 13 lbs with the bipod. I have been running the Kuiu Icon Pro with the Kifaru Gun Bearer for the past 3 years. This system works very well for me, even when I am in thick timber on steep inclines. The universal Gun Bearer will fit most any pack belt.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
Maybe it is just me, but my eberlestock just one, has worked well. It has packed, sheep, deer, elk, bear and moose. yes it gets heavy, but any pack would be heavy with those loads.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Some of the newer Eberlestock packs have wider scabbards. I have a X1A2 listed in the classifieds that would work I think. It holds my AR I predator hunt with including the 10rd mag and 50mm scope. Not sure if the bipod would fit though. I run the Rapid Pivot bipods that pop off easily so I don't have one installed in my pack. The X1A2 isn't great for packing meat but is a great daypack with a spotter and tripod pocket. The Team Elk has a frame and the same size scabbard, should be better for loads. Personally I never pack meat with the Eberlestock packs I have after the first trip out, I go back in with a Cabelas Alaskan frame for later trips. Eberlestock's load lifters just aren't as good as a true frame pack. It's not terrible packing with them, I used a J34 on the worst pack-out of my life with an elk hindquarter and loins in it. It's just not as comfortable as some packs.

A scabbard can be added to their Mainframe with the bag of your choice also, might be the best fit for you.

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
I'm looking for a new pack as well and have a heavy rifle. I like the scabbard on the M5 RMEF pack as well but am concerned about where to put the meat with a full bag of gear. Seems a separate bag/harness system allows you to put the meat closest to your back for ideal hauling. This system from eberlestock is pricey and heavy

Kurtr

Jan 20, 2016
Mobridge, sd
kifaru with gun bearer. I had the eberlestock just one and up to 30 pounds it is good but they dont have any functional load lifters and it is a night and day difference compared to the kifaru. I was a sceptic my self thinking no pack is worth that much. well one trip to idaho and i learned real quick they are. Stone glacier, exo , mystery ranch and kifaru are all a notch above the rest.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
I use a Kifaru Bikini frame, a Gen II meat bag, and a long side zip pocket and do exactly what you're wanting to do. My rifle weighs 12+ with NXS and bipod and isn't an issue. You can also use a Kifaru or Mystery Ranch gun bearer rather than lashing the rifle to the pack.

IMG_0775 (Medium).jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg