What Is Your Go To Hunting Knife?

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I'm not a knife guy. I've been carrying one of those locking folder knives that take a box cutter blade that you see in the bargain bin at your hardware or farm stores. And I have used that in a pinch to gut deer. Lately i've relied on a set of knives from outdoor edge but unfortunately the blade broke on the gutting knife ( I posted pics of the break in a thread here on Eastmans). I like to use any drop point blade for skinning and rely mostly on filet knives to debone meat.

Edit: I found the link with the broken knife

Reactions: kidoggy

JimP

Veteran member
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
My first experience with a Havalon was when I had already cleaned and skinned a couple of animals and a friend handed me his Havalon to clean one. I reached up inside the body cavity to cut the windpipe and the next thing that I knew the bade was floating around inside it somewhere. I stopped right there. We found the blade when we skinned it out.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Some kind of gerber set and a havalon about 3" long. I dont care for the gut hook. Its a bit dangerous. But the case sharpener is on point...I sharpen my knives every few minutes.

That havalon is pretty sweet. Not going to lie. It will make short work of things. RAZOR sharp.

View attachment 32319View attachment 32320
I have both those the gut hook works but it all in the angle you try to use it.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The giveaway knife worked great. Super sharp and the blades were easily re-sharpened.

I used it on 4 deer so far.

Thanks again Eastmans!