Utah Books Cliff Muzzy hunt.

mickeyelk

May 12, 2019
Hi. Not new to Eastsman but new to posting on the forum. I drew this tag this year and looking for any info to start planning my hunt. The wife and I will be taking a scouting trip this summer and would like to be prepared as I could be. We have a toyhauler that will be using to stay in and am wondering how the roads in the area will be. We are coming on I70 East when we travel there. First time hunting there. Normally hunt in the Southern zone (pine) for deer when I draw. Any info would be appreciated. We have a Polaris Rzr, would it be useful during the hunt? What map should I obtain? Nearest gas? Thanks

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
How big is your toy hauler?

There are 3 canyons to go up to get up on top of the Book Cliffs and all of them can be a bear to get a large trailer up. The best way is to come in from the north on the Oray Rd. It is oiled just about all the way to the top of them. You have Hay Canyon, East Canyon, and Bittercreek Canyon. East Canyon and Hay Canyon are accessed off of I-70 and the Westwater exit. Bittercreek Canyon is about 2 miles inside of the Colorado border off of old HWY 6. I have seen people take a 5th wheel down East Canyon but not up it. There is one switchback that you need to navigate. Hay Canyon is steep and Bittercreek can be just a plain mess.

The main roads are fairly good gravel, however if wet they might be a problem with a trailer

The rzr will be a big help to you. There are roads all over up there. I believe that the only source for maps is the BLM Land Management Maps that you can purchase for $4 each at a BLM office.

The nearest gas will either be Thompson Springs 5 miles east of the Moab turn off on US 191 south or Fruita, Co. 18 miles inside of the Colorado border. Fruitia may be the closest since if you come down to the south you will come out at the Westwater exit on I-70. If you go north to Vernal it is 50+ miles to town, but then it is 50+ miles if you go south.

So while you are there be prepared for the worst. Some people have a lot of problems with tires up there, the gravel likes to eat anything other than 8ply tires.

As for where to look over the deer. Tom Patterson Ridge, The Divide Road which runs all the way along the top from Colorado to the west border, Mc Cook Ridge, and the little pockets to the south off of the Divide Road from Mc, Cook Ridge to the east.

mickeyelk

May 12, 2019
Wow. Thanks so much. My toyhauler is 23 ft long 8 ft wide. So to park at the bottom of these canyons and drive up every day? Is that probable?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
What I would suggest doing is to park down on the bottom below the East Canyon and Hay Canyon junction and then take either your truck or Rzr up and look for your self. Then you should know if you can get up one or the other. Once on top the roads are good. As I mentioned I have seen 5th wheel trailers brought off of the top and down East Canyon. They may of came up it. If your trailer is a bumper pull the biggest problem that I would see would be the one switch back and a dip where you need to go through at the bottom.

The only problem on parking down low is that there is a irate land owner or caretaker right at the bottom of junction of the two canyons. So you would have to park off of his property which would add a few miles to your trip to get to the top. Some of his land is marked and some is not. He has yelled at us a few times. He doesn't talk, just yells. A couple years ago he heard us shooting rabbits and chuckars and flew up the road to the property line where he decided that we were not doing it on his property and he turned around.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Which way are you coming from on I-70? If from the east you can get off in Rifle and take HWY 13 north to either Meeker or Craig and then US40 over to the Oray turn off. There is St HWY 64 from Meeker to Rangley and then US40 that will cut off some distance but at a reduced speed.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I would suggest that if you want your camper up on top to at least go in through Roosevelt and Oray on your scouting trip. If you go this way I would fill up in Roosevelt.

Then take a ride in your truck down East Canyon to look at the conditions of how the road is and if you would feel comfortable in towing the trailer up it. Then if it looks OK to you you can go back that way with your trailer. You could even go over to Hay Canyon when you are up on top and even look it over as far as going down or up.

Also depending on how the weather is before the ML hunt there is Nash Wash out of Cisco on the south side off of I-70. There is usually a good concentration of deer in that area once the migration starts and if there is a cold rain or even snow in September then the deer will be moving.