Unit question

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Let me start off with I am not asking for spots. I am getting close to being able to not hold my breath for drawing a good unit. By that I mean either the Pansagaunt, or the Book Cliifs. I know there are more tags for the Book Cliffs. But I am woundering everything being equal which area would be the better choice. I mostly do backpack hunts with my bow. Not really in to the whole road hunting thing anymore. Nothing against it, just not for me. I have already looked at Google and both places are not really screaming at me either way. I know that if I am lucky enough to have either tag in my hand, that should be good enough. Just wanted to pick the best unit for me. Thanks.

Last edited:

Sanpete

Jul 6, 2011
This is one of those tough choices that we all face every year around this time. The Book Cliffs area has a ton of deer on it along with a bunch of area's that you can backpack into. This would be a great hunt where most of your bucks will be in the 24" range, but good bucks none the less. The Paunsagaunt is really making a good come back though. This would be my choice if I were trying to decide where to hunt this fall for a big mule deer buck. They took some real trophies off of there this year and this is where you would stand the best chance at finding one. The choice is tough, but the paunsagaunt would be my choice if I were you.