Unit 66A archery elk

JIMMYRIG

Mar 9, 2011
PARADISE,CA
Didn't get drawn for Wyoming Gen elk tag so looking for new OTC hunt and tired of eating tag soup in Oregon. Unit 66A looks like a possibility, but we are concerned about the number of archery hunters it shows. We usually bivy hunt 5-8 miles from the TH, but looks like 3-4 miles is the best we can do here. Any info would be much appreciated.

IdahoPredator

Apr 2, 2011
Eastern Idaho
I grew up hunting elk in that unit and spent much of my adult life archery hunting there. However, I stopped hunting there because there got to be way to many hunters. IF&G really promotes those units to out-of state hunters. Of course, there is nothing wrong with hunters from out of state (we are all hunters so we are all allies) but Holy-Cow! The quality of hunting really goes down when there are hunters on every ridge and every drainage in the entire area. Not trying to discourage, just giving you a head's-up.

JIMMYRIG

Mar 9, 2011
PARADISE,CA
You guys were right!

Spent the first 4 days hunting 66a, hunters everywhere, very few elk, and we heard wolves in the area 2 of those days. Packed up and headed way south, no hunters or wolves, and found a canyon full of bulls. Went from the worst hunt to the best in less than 24 hours. This was my first archery bull, 3 days after my 47th birthday!

100_0133 (800x450).jpg

Howahunter

Mar 29, 2011
Idaho
www.mnmwildlife.com
hunters everywhere in 66a? You must have been by Caribou City. Usually that is the case in 76. I rarely ever run into another hunter in 66a. I must have the honey hole that nobody wants to hike into? I do however usually hunt the first few opening days which has its advantages and disadvantages.
Good job on the bull; that zone should only continue to get better the longer the motorized restriction is in place.
Fish and Game really doesn't promote that zone more than others.