Unconvetional Stoves For The Backcountry!

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
question for you folks, that use the natural fuels stoves.

I take it you won't use your stove in a storm in your tent? are these just good weather stoves?

thanks
tim

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
question for you folks, that use the natural fuels stoves.

I take it you won't use your stove in a storm in your tent? are these just good weather stoves?

thanks
tim
The Biolite would not be a good choice for use inside a tent. In fact it would be a very stupid choice.

If you want a wood burning option look at Kifaru or Seekoutside shelter/stove combinations for heated back-country living.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I would throw the Kelly kettle in there also. Why would someone want that type of stove, if it limits where you can use it. or do you just take the natural fuel stoves if you don't use a tent?

I guess I am trying to figure out why anyone would use one, or buy one. throwing in your survival cache sure, real world use, what am I missing?

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
The nice thing about them is you dont have to worry about running out of fuel. Its pretty neat they will charge things now too!

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Potential weight savings too. If you dont have haul in a solar panel it cuts weight. The Power pot works on any regular stove.

I wouldn't use these in winter conditions.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
If you were to say boil enough water for three people on the power pot you would get a charge but not completely full. For the biolite, it would take longer and a little bit of effort, but you would get a charge after 20 minutes or so. Again, it won't be completely full, but you will charge it.

Let's be honest though, who wouldn't be ok with using the power pot on top of the Slatworx sitting by a small fire backpacking? The same can be said about the biolite, contained campfire that can boil water, and charge your gear with a little time?